Q. My HbA1c levels have reduced. Does it mean my diabetes is gone?

Dr. Shaikh Sadaf
Published on Nov 14, 2017 and last reviewed on: Oct 09, 2018

I am a 57 year male. Four months ago, the doctor declared that I am diabetic as my HbA1c was 10.7 %. I started with Glimisave M2 (two tablets per day) and Atorec 10 (one tablet at night), later on, I shifted to Glimisave M1 (two tablets per day) and Atorec 10 as usual. I take other supplements also like Karela, Cinnamon and Fenugreek tablets, B12, D3, Vitamin C, ALA, CoQ10, etc. I have totally cut down sugar, heavily restricted rice, and wheat. Minimum of once a day, I take meal replacement powder Glucerna SR with milk. I do moderate exercise like brisk walking on a treadmill and have managed to lose 6 kg in the last four months. Today, I checked my HbA1c was 5.6 %. S creatinine was 0.63 mg/dL. My lipid profile was well under control, only HDL is at 43 mg/dL, which I understand should be around 60 mg/dL. Does it mean my diabetes is gone? Can I slowly reduce Glimisave M1? What other ayurvedic supplements should I take? Is my S creatinine very low or alarming?

Dr. Shaikh Sadaf

Diabetology Endocrinology
#

I just read your query.

• From what you have mentioned, it appears that you have controlled your diabetes quite well. I would suggest that you take tablet Glimisave (Glimepiride) M2 once in the morning and tablet Glimisave M1 once at night. Your diabetes is not gone, but it is well controlled.
  • You must take very small amounts of walnuts occasionally for a good HDL (high-density lipoprotein).
  • As I am not a specialist in Ayurveda, I cannot comment on Ayurveda treatment.

Hope you find my advice beneficial. Good luck.

For more information consult an endocrinologist online --> https://icliniq.com./ask-a-doctor-online/endocrinologist

What measures should I take for deranged triglycerides and HDL?

Query: Hi doctor, My cholesterol is 170, triglycerides are 293, HDL 24 and LDL 107, non-HDL cholesterol 143. What measures should I take and when should I repeat my test?  Read Full >>

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have gone through your report, and especially your triglycerides and HDL are deranged. These are not immediately life-threatening but may be harmful in long term. Firstly, I guess this was a fasting sample even without tea in the morning, if not then you should get...  Read Full

Diabetes and Eyes

Article Overview: Diabetes is one of the leading cause for permanent blindness. It is very essential for us to know to avoid the complications of diabetes. Micro-vascular complications will involve eyes, kidneys and nerves in common. But early detection and prevention will avoid permanent disability. Read Article

Dr. Pratap Vgm
Diabetologist

"EYES are the most beautiful organs created by nature which enables us to have vision. It is very important factor for individuals to be independent in their life" Diabetes is a metabolic syndrome entity which is characterized by hyperglycemia, high blood pressure and dyslipedemia. It causes variou...  Read Article

How can the TG/HDL ratio be reduced?

Query: Hi doctor, I got a complete medical checkup done today. My lipid profile reads total cholesterol 145 mg/dL, HDL 27.5 mg/dL, LDL 93.3 mg/dL, triglyceride 195 mg/dL and VLDL 39 mg/dL. Is this very concerning? Especially, I am concerned regarding the TG/HDL ratio. Please advice. My echo, ECG, and stres...  Read Full >>

Dr. Prashant Valecha
Cardiologist, General Practitioner

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Most of the population has low HDL (high density lipoprotein). More than 50 is a good thing which rarely people have. Triglyceride range is up to 150. Can be more if no fasting done prior test or seen in diabetics. Overall your test is good. You do not need cholesterol...  Read Full

Ask an Endocrinologist Now