Q. Is HbA1c test more reliable than a blood sugar test taken at home?

Dr. Saravan Pramod Settipalli
Published on Nov 03, 2017 and last reviewed on: Oct 09, 2018

I am a 35-year-old female. Is HbA1c test at a primary physician's lab reliable? I recently got my annual physical and lab tests done at a new primary physician's office (practicing since five years). The results show I have a glucose of 109 mg/dL and hemoglobin A1c of 6.8 %. My TSH is 5.85 uIU/mL and free T4 is 0.5 mg/dL. The doctor emailed me saying I am now diabetic and also hypothyroid. Three weeks ago, I had tested my blood sugar at home and it was 88 mg/dL. Should I see this doctor or another one?

Dr. Saravan Pramod Settipalli

#

• HbA1c will give us information about your blood sugar in the past three months whereas RBS (random blood sugar) will get us information about the previous day. Therefore, HbA1c is more reliable than of RBS.
  • The HbA1c level needs to be less than 6 to be considered as normal and nondiabetic. If it is more than 7, it confirms that you are diabetic.
  • So, I kindly suggest you recheck HbA1c at a different lab.

For more information consult an internal medicine physician online --> https://icliniq.com./ask-a-doctor-online/internal-medicine-physician

Is there anything to worry about raising blood sugar levels?

Query: Hello doctor, My grandfather aged 79 years has diabetes for past 22 years. He has been on medication since then. He has other parameters normal but his sugar levels are quite high for some time. Before three months, the fasting blood glucose level was 116 mg/dl and postprandial blood glucose level ...  Read Full »

Does Nicotine gums increase blood sugar levels in a diabetic?

Query: Hi doctor, I am a diabetic. Does chewing nicotine gum will increase sugar level? Does stress in the heart increase the sugar level?  Read Full »

Diabetes and Eyes

Article Overview: Diabetes is one of the leading cause for permanent blindness. It is very essential for us to know to avoid the complications of diabetes. Micro-vascular complications will involve eyes, kidneys and nerves in common. But early detection and prevention will avoid permanent disability. Read Article

Dr. Pratap Vgm
Diabetologist

"EYES are the most beautiful organs created by nature which enables us to have vision. It is very important factor for individuals to be independent in their life" Diabetes is a metabolic syndrome entity which is characterized by hyperglycemia, high blood pressure and dyslipedemia. It causes variou...  Read Article