Q. What has to be done to reduce fasting blood sugar levels?

Dr. Mahmoud Ahmed Abelrahman Abouibrahim
Published on Oct 27, 2018

I am 49 years old, moderately active, all biochemical parameters mid-range normal. Fasting sugar levels steady at 147 to 149, PP 159 to 250, drops to 80 to 105 at about 6 PM, after lunch at 1.30 to 2 PM. I am having (Glycomet Trio1 and Glycomet GP1) twice a day. Am unable to understand how to get these levels down to fasting.

#

I understand your concerns. Great fluctuations in blood sugar level are common in diabetics. Your treatment is suitable but it may require some small modifications. My advice in order to have better control is that you have to eat a small meal between the main meals. Stay strictly with the diabetic diet. You can miss one dose if you are not going to eat the meal or you are going to eat a very small amount of food. If you tolerate Metformin well, I suggest that you increase the dose to 1000 twice daily after food and decrease the dose of Glimipride as Metformin decrease the sugar level back to normal but not causing hypoglycemia like Glimipride (after consulting your physician). Measuring HbA1c will give us a good idea about how the blood sugar was controlled over the last three months.

I need to know about your meals timings and your medications timings . Do you take both medications twice, so that you are taking four tablets in total or you take one in the morning and the other in the evening? So you take only two tablets? Please provide me with your feedback. For further advice, please do not hesitate to send follow up query.

Diabetes and Eyes

Article Overview: Diabetes is one of the leading cause for permanent blindness. It is very essential for us to know to avoid the complications of diabetes. Micro-vascular complications will involve eyes, kidneys and nerves in common. But early detection and prevention will avoid permanent disability. Read Article

Dr. Pratap Vgm
Diabetologist

"EYES are the most beautiful organs created by nature which enables us to have vision. It is very important factor for individuals to be independent in their life" Diabetes is a metabolic syndrome entity which is characterized by hyperglycemia, high blood pressure and dyslipedemia. It causes variou...  Read Article

Diabetes - Simple Ways to Control Blood Sugar Level

Article Overview: Diabetes is spreading very fast. This article will provide an overview about how people can control their blood sugar level after adopting a healthy lifestyle. Read Article

Dr. Alka
Diabetologist

Diabetes is affecting millions of lives these days. It is a metabolic disorder in which the blood sugar of the body is in a higher range than normal. These days it is spreading very fast due to unhealthy lifestyle of people and poor eating habits. The initial symptoms of diabetes include excessive t...  Read Article