Q. What has to be done to reduce fasting blood sugar levels?

Dr. Mahmoud Ahmed Abelrahman Abouibrahim

I am 49 years old, moderately active, all biochemical parameters mid-range normal. Fasting sugar levels steady at 147 to 149, PP 159 to 250, drops to 80 to 105 at about 6 PM, after lunch at 1.30 to 2 PM. I am having (Glycomet Trio1 and Glycomet GP1) twice a day. Am unable to understand how to get these levels down to fasting.

#

I understand your concerns. Great fluctuations in blood sugar level are common in diabetics. Your treatment is suitable but it may require some small modifications. My advice in order to have better control is that you have to eat a small meal between the main meals. Stay strictly with the diabetic diet. You can miss one dose if you are not going to eat the meal or you are going to eat a very small amount of food. If you tolerate Metformin well, I suggest that you increase the dose to 1000 twice daily after food and decrease the dose of Glimipride as Metformin decrease the sugar level back to normal but not causing hypoglycemia like Glimipride (after consulting your physician). Measuring HbA1c will give us a good idea about how the blood sugar was controlled over the last three months.

I need to know about your meals timings and your medications timings . Do you take both medications twice, so that you are taking four tablets in total or you take one in the morning and the other in the evening? So you take only two tablets? Please provide me with your feedback. For further advice, please do not hesitate to send follow up query.

|