Q. Being a non-alcoholic, is it possible to get liver issue?

This is a premium question & answer published on May 31, 2016 and last reviewed on: Apr 03, 2020

I am a 22 year old female with the history of bronchitis. I was diagnosed with bronchitis at the age of 17 approximately. For five months, I had been facing breathing problem and now I have continuous pain in the right abdomen and occasionally on the left. I also have a type of sting like pain around my left breast. I referred a doctor and he diagnosed me of sinusitis and hence the breathing issue. Recently, the doctor said that my liver is becoming inactive or something. I weigh 41 kg and my height is 5'1". My weight is constant even after having a lot of food daily as the doctor recommended me. I want to know if there can be any other reason, because I cannot understand the liver issue as I am a non-alcoholic person. And also in my ultrasound there were some small nodes found near my stomach and they were less than 1 cm in size. Should I be worried?

#

• Your breathing problem is due to bronchitis and sinusitis, which most of the time is due to allergy to cold, dust, pollen and pollution.
  • Once the allergen is removed then your symptoms will improve. But, sometimes it can lead to infection in the lungs. You can carry out chest x-ray to rule it out.
  • Pain in the abdomen is not related to bronchitis or sinusitis. It is due to abdominal pathology.
  • I suppose on ultrasound examination you would have been diagnosed with fatty liver (fat accumulation in the liver) since you have mentioned it is becoming inactive.
  • Did you carry out the liver function test? Were the liver enzymes raised? If they were raised, then you have liver injury.
  • Since you do not consume alcohol, it could be due to viral hepatitis, metabolic disorders, eating too much fatty and spicy foods or due to side effects of certain drugs.
  • Small nodes near stomach should be evaluated further. It could be lymphadenitis, which is a benign inflammation due to infection or it could be malignant, which may be the cause of pain in abdomen.
  • Small nodes are usually benign. I would have interpreted better if I had seen the reports. I would suggest you to carry out CT scan of the abdomen to rule out any lesion or growth in the abdomen.

For further information consult an internal medicine physician online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/internal-medicine-physician

| 

I have sinusitis and feel like something is stuck in my neck. What can be done?

Query: Hi doctor, I have got chronic sinusitis diagnosed by ENT doctor. I am suffering from difficulties of swelling for months, feel like something is stuck in my neck like sputum or something else that is moving up and down, especially while eating or having flu. Do you think it is related to ENT or I h...  Read Full »

How to prevent sinusitis, dry nose and shivering during winters?

Query: Hello doctor, I have a recurring ailment that I usually get once or twice per winter. It starts with extreme shivering and overheating, but no fever. Day two usually involves a very dry nose, very low energy, and heightened sensitivity to touch or light. Days 3 to 5 usually involve more traditional...  Read Full »

Please suggest a medicine for jaundice.

Query: Hi doctor, I am a 22 year old male. I am suffering from jaundice. I used to smoke and drink. But, since 15 days I have quit. Last week my eyes became yellow and after that I had my blood test and hepatitis test. I am uploading the report. Please suggest me medicine and further diet plan.  Read Full »