Q. What causes swollen and painful lymph node in the throat?

Dr. Dheeraj Kumar Jonnalagadda
Published on Feb 24, 2019

My right lymph node on my throat is swollen and my throat hurts on the right side but is not scratchy. I have had this for four days with no other symptoms. I was recently on multiple antibiotics for a bacterial infection but am no longer on them. I am female, 19 years old, 115 lbs. Only current medication is a new Mirena IUD.

Dr. Dheeraj Kumar Jonnalagadda

Allergy Specialist Otolaryngology (E.N.T)
#

The condition you are describing can be right side lymphadenitis. It most commonly presents with infection of the throat or upper respiratory tract infection. It subsided with minimal antibiotics, salt water gargling, antihistamines, and antacids. But the swelling can be salivary gland swellings too which may present in that region. Kindly send a picture of it so that it will be useful in diagnosing and suggesting you the further treatment.

I have chest pains and a swollen lymph node under my jaw. What can it be?

Query: Hello doctor, I have irregular heartbeats, chest pain, and pain under the ribs on both the sides. It is not exactly like pain, but more of a discomfort. Sometimes, I get a short stabbing pain either on the left or the right side under my ribs, and it also feels something is moving or gets squeezed ...  Read Full >>

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. The probable causes are: Strep throat. Pharyngeal gonorrhea. Tuberculous lymphadenitis, etc. To come to a definite diagnosis, please consult a nearby physician. For more information consult an internal medicine physician online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doct...  Read Full

What can result in blood in stool with stomach pain in small children?

Query: Hi doctor, My son is 11 years old. His sonography impression shows the presence of sub-centric, nonnecrotic, pre and para-aortic mesenteric lymph nodes. He suffers from stomach pain and also has blood in stools. Currently, he is taking Mebex and Monocef. His WBC level is above the normal. Please ad...  Read Full >>

Dr. Penchala Prasad Kandikattu

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Mesenteric lymph node enlargement can be seen in children without a cause, and it is called as primary mesenteric lymphadenitis. In secondary causes, infections like tuberculosis or enteric fever or viral fever can also cause it. Blood in the stool can also occur due to...  Read Full

Are my lymph nodes swollen due to an allergy to fried foods?

Query: Hi doctor, I am a 35 year old male. I had a fever of 37.8oC on the eighth of last month, which only lasted for a day. But the fever was followed by few symptoms. After the fever, my lymph nodes at the back of my ear were swollen. I also had a sore throat and mouth ulcers. My body felt itchy, and I ...  Read Full >>

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Are you still having enlarged lymph nodes? Are those painful to touch? Is the size still the same as when you observed first? Is there any change? Do you have any throat pain now? Was any throat swab test done? Any blood test? Any difficulty or pain while swallowing or...  Read Full