Q. My left foot big toe is swollen and painful. What is the possible infection?

Dr. Atul Prakash

My left foot big toe has been swollen and painful for a couple of months. I first thought it was an ingrown toenail. I consulted a doctor who thought it was a fungus or grout. I have checked for both, and they are negative. I cannot get an appointment with the specialist for more than two weeks, and my toe is getting redder, more swollen and painful. I am concerned about possible infection as there is now some throbbing. Please help.

#

It appears from the description that you have an infection in the great toe. the question is which type If fungal culture has been done and found to be negative then remaining options are bacterial (staphylococcus) or gram-negative infection.

The treatment is local therapy and antibiotics.

Local therapy will include warm soaks with a salt solution. However, if there is throbbing then the likelihood of pus formation increases and you need to get examined by a doctor. In the meantime keep your foot elevated and take anti-inflammatory tablets.

|