Q. My left foot big toe is swollen and painful. What is the possible infection?

Dr. Atul Prakash
Published on Nov 06, 2019

My left foot big toe has been swollen and painful for a couple of months. I first thought it was an ingrown toenail. I consulted a doctor who thought it was a fungus or grout. I have checked for both, and they are negative. I cannot get an appointment with the specialist for more than two weeks, and my toe is getting redder, more swollen and painful. I am concerned about possible infection as there is now some throbbing. Please help.

Dr. Atul Prakash

Fitness Expert Orthopedics And Traumatology Physiotherapy Spine Health
#

It appears from the description that you have an infection in the great toe. the question is which type If fungal culture has been done and found to be negative then remaining options are bacterial (staphylococcus) or gram-negative infection.

The treatment is local therapy and antibiotics.

Local therapy will include warm soaks with a salt solution. However, if there is throbbing then the likelihood of pus formation increases and you need to get examined by a doctor. In the meantime keep your foot elevated and take anti-inflammatory tablets.

I have pain and blisters in the big toe whenever I wear shoes. Please guide me.

Query: Hello doctor, I have had this ongoing pain in the toe of my right foot since some time now. If I wear shoes for a long duration, then invariably small blisters develop. Recently, pus had collected after a four-hour journey wearing shoes and as soon as I plucked the skin tip which I generally keep do...  Read Full >>

Dr. Rashmi Singh

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I read your query and went through your images (attachment removed to protect patient identity).  There could be two possibilities in your case: Your shoes have been ill-fitting and have caused trauma because of which you have repeated infection and pain due to pressu...  Read Full

I am having bleeding and pus discharge from toenail. Please help.

Query: Hi doctor, I have toenail problem. I had bleeding and pus formation. I consulted a doctor and she had prescribed the following treatment. Tablet Novamox CV 625 three times a day for five days. Apply T-bact ointment twice a day. After taking the above treatment, the pus formation stopped. But there ...  Read Full >>

Dr. Ashwini V Swamy

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. How did this start? Did you have trauma to the nail? Is it painful? Is it only one to nail? How many times it has bled? You have mentioned there was pus, was it greenish? Or just frank white pus? Does it smell bad? Your other toenails appear yellow (attachment removed t...  Read Full

Kindly suggest treatment for inner thigh discoloration.

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 49 year old fairly healthy male. My height is 6 feet and weight is 260. I am overweight and also have low testosterone. I have had a noticeable shrinkage in my testicles in recent years. I have embarrassing erectile issues, including premature ejaculation and often I am unable t...  Read Full >>

Dr. Jyotisterna Mittal

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. At the onset I would like to tell you that though I understand your concern and situation, but there is nothing to be ashamed or apprehensive of yourself. It is a medical problem and can only be tackled by proper medical treatment and advice, and not by hiding your ...  Read Full

Ask an Orthopaedician & Traumatologist Now