Q. I have grade 2 fatty liver with right-sided abdominal pain and high LFT parameters. Kindly help.

Dr. Mian Shah Yousaf
This is a premium question & answer published on Aug 29, 2020 and last reviewed on: Nov 13, 2020

I am suffering from grade ll fatty liver with right side abdominal pain. And today's LFT report high parameters are AST-50, ALT- 88, and lactate dehydrogenase - 635. Please advice.

I am currently taking Ayurvedic medications. I have also done KFT, CBC, lipid profile, thyroid, and sugar one month back.

#

I reviewed your labs (attachment removed to protect patient identity) and yes, it shows raised LFTs (liver function test).

It is suggestive of NASH (nonalcoholic steatohepatitis), which is basically fats in the liver leading to hepatitis.

Do you drink alcohol? Kindly do the following tests and start this treatment. But you need to decrease the weight, which is the most important factor in your treatment.

Fatty liver.

CBC (complete blood count). HbsAg. Anti HCV (hepatitis C virus).

NASH.

Capsule Evion (Vitamin E) 400 mg 1-0-1 for three months.

Regular exercise and weight reduction.

I have attached the test reports. I do not drink alcohol and nonsmoker. This condition was diagonosed last year but LFT test was found normal in one month after diet precaution and exercise.

From the last month, we feel pain in the right side abdomen. Thyroid test is negative and blood sugar is normal last month and I take some Ayurvedic medicines from the last month. I slightly feel comfortable but not satisfactory. Now I have attached this month test report. I am continuing my exercise also. Please advice.

#

I just reviewed your tests (attachment removed to protect patient identity).

It shows low platelets and others are normal. You need to repeat the CBC (complete blood count) after one month. Continue the treatment as I advised and you should decrease your weight. Continue your exercise and decrease carbohydrate intake.

| 

Kindly help me interpret my liver USG report.

Query: Hello doctor, Four months before, I was diagnosed with fatty liver, slightly elevated fasting sugar and the level of total cholesterol. My current medications are tablet Viboliv 500 daily two times in a restricted diet and Nexpro RD. I had consumed spicy foods rarely. In the last four months, I l...  Read Full »

Is it advisable to take various medicines with antibiotic in a fatty liver patient?

Query: Hello doctor, I have a red, swollen and infected ingrown toe nail. It is speeding quickly and painfully. Yesterday I saw Dermatologist for the first time and she wrote me a prescription antibiotic of Ciprofloxacin 500mg/Thrice/day for one week and then do a partial toe nail surgery. Later, my last ...  Read Full »

I had fatty liver.Do I have chances of developing cirrhosis?

Query: Hello doctor, I had fatty liver (due to being overweight: BMI - 28.1) 3 years ago. I do not consume alcohol. At that time the enzymes were 3-4 times elevated and had signs of fat in liver. Then I lost weight and my liver enzyme levels improved. In this last one year all my liver enzymes are normal. ...  Read Full »

Does CD marker help in identification of blood cancer?
Hi doctor, I am a 25-year-old male suffering from joint pain and pain in the knees. I also have nausea, vomiting, gynec...  Read more»
I suddenly got fainted and woked up with bruising in eyes. Why?
Hi doctor,I am 28 years old with normal weight and following a vegetarian diet. Last month, I fainted at home and my fri...  Read more»