Q. Is it possible to prevent HIV after three days of sexual intercourse?

Dr. Nidhin Varghese

I had sexual (vaginal only) intercourse three days back with a woman whom I had known for a few days. She looked like a normal regular kind of girl. So I had sex without protection. But after the sex, I doubt she has other sex partners also, and she often has sex. So now I am feeling unsafe. And somewhere, I read that within 72 hours of unprotected sex, there are some medical precautions to prevent HIV? Please suggest something.

#

I read your query and understand your concern.

Post-exposure prophylaxis (PEP) is a combination of three drugs.

You can take them once or twice a day for the next 28 days.

For adults, the suggested dosage is-

1. Tenofovir Disoproxil 300 mg and Emtricitabine 200 mg (these two drugs come in one pill) once daily.

2. A third drug, either Raltegravir 400 mg twice daily or Dolutegravir 50 mg daily.

|