Q. Are my symptoms indicative of HIV infection?

Answered by
Dr. Murali R
and medically reviewed by iCliniq medical review team.
This is a premium question & answer published on Jul 12, 2017

Hi doctor,

I am having hot breaths, and my eyes feel hot. I have acidity problems. All these problems started after I had sexual intercourse. Is it an indication of HIV? Should I get a western blot test now?



Welcome to icliniq.com.

  • Hot breaths and acidity problems are non-specific symptoms and are not related to HIV (human immunodeficiency virus) infection.
  • The risk factors for HIV infection is having sex with unknown partners, whose HIV status is not known, or through blood transmission. If you had any of this risk factor, then get tested for HIV.
  • Mostly, the symptoms of HIV will be fever, recurrent diarrhea, and lymphadenopathy. The gap between infection and symptoms are years together.

Please provide more history to give better advice. Have a nice day.

Revert with more information to an internal medicine physician online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/internal-medicine-physician

Hi doctor,

Thank you for the reply. I had intercourse with a partner, whose HIV status is unknown. After that, I am having hot breaths, hot eyes, and acidity. I do not have diarrhea. I checked my temperature in the morning, which was 97 degrees. The weather here is cold and raining.



Welcome back to icliniq.com.

  • Do not worry, the symptoms what you have are not related to HIV. The risk of HIV transmission is low, that is, it is 4 out of 10,000 possible exposure with an HIV-infected partner.
  • To detect HIV infection, NAAT (nucleic acid amplification test) test will detect as early as 12 days or p24 antigen test detects as early as 16 days. Western blot will detect HIV after three months only.

All symptoms you are having is due to anxiety, so just relax. Have a nice day.

For more information consult an internal medicine physician online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/internal-medicine-physician

Thank you doctor,

If these tests come as normal, then do I need to do any further tests?



Welcome back to icliniq.com.

  • No need for any further tests. Please follow-up with the report.

Have a wonderful day.

For further queries consult an internal medicine physician online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/internal-medicine-physician

Was this answer helpful?


Related Questions:
HIV RNA was negative on 21st day? Can it be positive later?

It may be due to irritation or fungal infection ...  It may be due to irritation or fungal infection ...   Read full

HIV1 RNA test is negative. Can it be concluded that I do not have HIV?

.. need to go for fourth generation ELISA (enzyme-linked immunosorbent assay). For more information consult a HIV AIDS specialist online --> .. ...   Read full

Antibiotic-Associated Diarrhea (AAD)

.. to infection by antibiotic-resistant pathogens such as Staphylococcus aureus, Clostridium difficile, Candida albicans, Salmonella, Clostridium perfringens type A, Klebsiella oxytoca, etc. CDAD (Clostridium difficile-associated disease) is responsi...   Read full

7 Days COVID Care
Also Read Answers From:

Comprehensive Medical Second Opinion.Submit your Case

Also Read

Frequently Asked Questions About COVID-19 Vaccines
COVID-19 vaccines can be a real lifesaver. Read this to know the answers to the common questions and doubts on COVID-19 ...  Read more»
Female Sexual Arousal Disorder: Break the Shackles and Seek Help!!
This article throws light on Female Sexual Interest/Arousal Disorder, a common but least discussed sexual health topic a...  Read more»
Covaxin Vs Covishield
The coronavirus vaccines, Covaxin and Covishield, have received a green signal for restricted emergency use in India. In...  Read more»

Ask your health query to a doctor online?

Ask an Internal Medicine Physician Now

* guaranteed answer within 4 hours.

Disclaimer: No content published on this website is intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek advice from your physician or other qualified healthcare providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website.