Q. Are my symptoms indicative of HIV infection?

Dr. Murali R
Published on Jul 12, 2017

I am having hot breaths, and my eyes feel hot. I have acidity problems. All these problems started after I had sexual intercourse. Is it an indication of HIV? Should I get a western blot test now?

Dr. Murali R

#

Welcome to icliniq.com.

• Hot breaths and acidity problems are non-specific symptoms and are not related to HIV (human immunodeficiency virus) infection.
  • The risk factors for HIV infection is having sex with unknown partners, whose HIV status is not known, or through blood transmission. If you had any of this risk factor, then get tested for HIV.
  • Mostly, the symptoms of HIV will be fever, recurrent diarrhea, and lymphadenopathy. The gap between infection and symptoms are years together.

Please provide more history to give better advice. Have a nice day.

Revert with more information to an internal medicine physician online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/internal-medicine-physician

Thank you for the reply. I had intercourse with a partner, whose HIV status is unknown. After that, I am having hot breaths, hot eyes, and acidity. I do not have diarrhea. I checked my temperature in the morning, which was 97 degrees. The weather here is cold and raining.

Dr. Murali R

#

Welcome back to icliniq.com.

• Do not worry, the symptoms what you have are not related to HIV. The risk of HIV transmission is low, that is, it is 4 out of 10,000 possible exposure with an HIV-infected partner.
  • To detect HIV infection, NAAT (nucleic acid amplification test) test will detect as early as 12 days or p24 antigen test detects as early as 16 days. Western blot will detect HIV after three months only.

All symptoms you are having is due to anxiety, so just relax. Have a nice day.

For more information consult an internal medicine physician online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/internal-medicine-physician

If these tests come as normal, then do I need to do any further tests?

Dr. Murali R

#

Welcome back to icliniq.com.

• No need for any further tests. Please follow-up with the report.

Have a wonderful day.

For further queries consult an internal medicine physician online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/internal-medicine-physician

Why am I having diarrhea following constipation for a long time?

Query: Hi doctor, I am having a slightly upset stomach with bloating for the past four months. I thought I had a bug. Two weeks later, it seemed much better. However, my bowel movements did not return to normal. I had mostly constipation for about a month (even though my stomach did not feel as upset anym...  Read Full »

How is the CMIA combo test done for HIV testing?

Query: Hello doctor, I shall be thankful to you if you please answer few of my queries. How CMIA combo for HIV testing is done? How much it is reliable at 175 and 180 post incidence. INDEX was .14 and .08, respectively. What are the chances of error in the result? (Done at two different labs). Even after ...  Read Full »

I am under PEP. How often should I get tested for HIV if the results come negative?

Query: Hi doctor, I am 32 years old. I am on PEP that has to be taken for 28 days. I got my first dose around 40 hours of being contracted to HIV. PEP is not 100 % secure. My question is if I am lucky and the result shows HIV negative after the therapy, how often do I need to get antibody tested if luck s...  Read Full »