Q. Is immuno-concentration HIV test conclusive after 15 months of sexual exposure?

Published on Jun 17, 2018

I am a 25-year-old boy. I had a partner for past 2 to 3 years. We performed sex 6 to 7 times. Last was before 14 months and then had a break-up. Now I see that she is HIV positive. Now I fear about HIV because there is high risk and I want to marry another girl. My symptoms are a sore throat before one year, dry cough for last two years, and shortness of birth. I have a red pimple on my body no more but 3 to 4 and this hides after 1 to 2 days. Also itchy. I do not have a fever, diarrhea or weight loss. I have a headache only sometimes when I work on the computer late night. So after 15 months of exposure, I went to a doctor to check my problem. The local private hospital doctor advised me for HIV test. And then, a person drew blood from my vein and the test was received next day. It was a rapid immuno-concentration HIV test for both HIV 1 and 2. The result was nonreactive. Kit used was Retroquic-HIV (qualpro). Due to fear of HIV, I was thinking about the possibly failed negative test so I went to another hospital and spoke with the doctor and the doctor recommended for ELISA HIV test but when the results come back it was not an ELISA test. It was an ECI combo test for both Ab and Ag. On the results, method ECI chemiluminescence, kit. Vitros or ortho result. 0.35 nonreactive. I do not know what is the generation of this test. Please help me what I can do or do not.

Hematology Pathology
#

I can understand your concern. Do not worry, I will solve your doubt. After around one year almost any test can rule out HIV conclusively. So rapid test is reliable and no need for further testing. But still, you have investigated with chemilumiscence test that gives result equivalent to ELISA test. It is called CMIA test for HIV and it is reliable. So I think now you do not have to worry about HIV. If any sexual exposure present in last 3 to 6 months then only we will think further otherwise do not worry and be relax. Take care.

For more information consult a pathologiost online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/pathologist

So, it means my cough is not due to HIV? I do not need any further test? And can I marry someone?

Hematology Pathology
#

Yes, after one year of exposure all test for HIV rule out it conclusively. So, do not worry about that. A cough is not a reliable symptom of HIV. For cough, we want to know whether you have a dry cough or wet cough? If you have allergic inflammation than also cough can occur. So do not worry about that. Take care.

For more information consult a pathologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/pathologist

How is the CMIA combo test done for HIV testing?

Query: Hello doctor, I shall be thankful to you if you please answer few of my queries. How CMIA combo for HIV testing is done? How much it is reliable at 175 and 180 post incidence. INDEX was .14 and .08, respectively. What are the chances of error in the result? (Done at two different labs). Even after ...  Read Full »

I am under PEP. How often should I get tested for HIV if the results come negative?

Query: Hi doctor, I am 32 years old. I am on PEP that has to be taken for 28 days. I got my first dose around 40 hours of being contracted to HIV. PEP is not 100 % secure. My question is if I am lucky and the result shows HIV negative after the therapy, how often do I need to get antibody tested if luck s...  Read Full »

Ask a Pathologist Now