Is immuno-concentration HIV test conclusive after 15 months of sexual exposure?

Q. Is immuno-concentration HIV test conclusive after 15 months of sexual exposure?

Dr. Goswami Parth Rajendragiri
and medically reviewed by Dr. K Shobana
This is a premium question & answer published on Jun 17, 2018 and last reviewed on: Jul 31, 2023

I am a 25-year-old boy. I had a partner for past 2 to 3 years. We performed sex 6 to 7 times. Last was before 14 months and then had a break-up. Now I see that she is HIV positive. Now I fear about HIV because there is high risk and I want to marry another girl. My symptoms are a sore throat before one year, dry cough for last two years, and shortness of birth. I have a red pimple on my body no more but 3 to 4 and this hides after 1 to 2 days. Also itchy. I do not have a fever, diarrhea or weight loss. I have a headache only sometimes when I work on the computer late night. So after 15 months of exposure, I went to a doctor to check my problem. The local private hospital doctor advised me for HIV test. And then, a person drew blood from my vein and the test was received next day. It was a rapid immuno-concentration HIV test for both HIV 1 and 2. The result was nonreactive. Kit used was Retroquic-HIV (qualpro). Due to fear of HIV, I was thinking about the possibly failed negative test so I went to another hospital and spoke with the doctor and the doctor recommended for ELISA HIV test but when the results come back it was not an ELISA test. It was an ECI combo test for both Ab and Ag. On the results, method ECI chemiluminescence, kit. Vitros or ortho result. 0.35 nonreactive. I do not know what is the generation of this test. Please help me what I can do or do not.

#

I can understand your concern. Do not worry, I will solve your doubt. After around one year almost any test can rule out HIV conclusively. So rapid test is reliable and no need for further testing. But still, you have investigated with chemilumiscence test that gives result equivalent to ELISA test. It is called CMIA test for HIV and it is reliable. So I think now you do not have to worry about HIV. If any sexual exposure present in last 3 to 6 months then only we will think further otherwise do not worry and be relax. Take care.

So, it means my cough is not due to HIV? I do not need any further test? And can I marry someone?

#

Yes, after one year of exposure all test for HIV rule out it conclusively. So, do not worry about that. A cough is not a reliable symptom of HIV. For cough, we want to know whether you have a dry cough or wet cough? If you have allergic inflammation than also cough can occur. So do not worry about that. Take care.

|