Q. Is the presence of persistent ulcer after fingering a sign of HIV?

Dr. Sushma Shah
and medically reviewed by Dr.Lekshmipriya B

I have had an ulcer after fingering for the past two weeks. I am not experiencing any other symptoms or have a previous history.

I did my fourth generation human immunodeficiency (HIV) lab test on the 10th, 12th, and 23rd day and all came negative. However, I am experiencing symptoms now, almost fifty days later. Kindly help.

#

The fourth generation test window period starts on the 28th day. This test has multiple window periods on any following days; 38, 42, 54, 63, 83, etc. So your tests are not at all in the window period. Fingering with an ulcer does not cause human immunodeficiency virus (HIV) infection; sex is necessary. In some cases, the sexually transmitted disease (STD) may occur.

Non-reactive test means it is not HIV. A lot of other conditions may have symptoms similar to that of HIV. I would suggest you consult a specialist. Only blood tests like the western blot test give a 100 % accurate diagnosis. All other tests are only 99.9 % accurate.

Sorry I did not say that the early detection screen test was performed by pricking the blood. It was told to me that it is the fourth generation test. The test was done on day 42. Would that be conclusive? The ulcer was open and had a little puss; maybe a little blood also came the day before. Perhaps her vagina fluid could have touched it? Can I move on, or must I test again? I do not understand the fourth generation tests.

#

If it is on the 42nd day, it has an accuracy of 99.9 %. Usually, ulcer, wound, cut, and bleeding from the cuts are not the route of transmission. You are not suffering from human immunodeficiency virus (HIV) infection till your tests are negative. After that, the symptoms might be of some other condition. Confirmation can be done only by a western blot test. If symptoms are not severe, wait and go for symptomatic treatment from an emergency room or by consulting a superspecialist. I would suggest you move on and not link your symptoms with HIV after searching. Online sources can cause unnecessary tension, so relax.

|