Femur Fracture

My son got a fracture in the neck and got operated on. Can you please check the post-operative x-rays and suggest the outcome?

Query: Hi doctor, In an accident, my eight-year-old son got a fracture in the neck of the femur. He got operated on and was fixed by cannulated screws, but I am not satisfied with the post operative x-rays. I will share the x-rays with you. Please tell me the acceptability of the surgery and if this surger...  Read Full »

Dr. Anuj Gupta

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Please answer the following questions: 1) When did he get this injury? 2) After how many days of injury was he operated? 3) Also, share pre-operative X-rays? Regards.  Read Full »

My daughter's operated left femur was slightly bent inside. Why?

Query: Hello doctor,My daughter's left femur was fractured in an accident. Pediatric orthopedics were planned for surgery with nails three years back. Now we doubt that her operated left femur was slightly bent inside. She is currently taking calcium tablets. Her past medications are tablet Brufen 200 mg, ...  Read Full »

Dr. Atul Prakash

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I understand your concern. The X-rays look fine (attachment removed to protect the patient’s identity). The nails are supposed to be bent such that the bone can be straight. What about the other view? Please attach that X-ray for further diagnosis.  Read Full »

How long will it take for my femur fracture to heal after surgery?

Query: Hi doctor, I had an open femur fracture recently. They performed open reduction with internal fixation. When I saw my second x-ray (after surgery), a large, fractured piece moved out of position. They did not immobilize my leg, and I had severe blood loss after the surgery, and it took them five da...  Read Full »

Dr. Anuj Gupta

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Would you please attach pre-operative and post-operative x-rays?  Read Full »

Please suggest the best-recommended treatment for femur fracture.

Query: Hi doctor, I had a double fracture in the femur following an accident. In 24 hours, I got intramedullary nail insertion. But, it did not heal even after seven months. I have started walking on leg before a month to induce self heal, but nothing happened. Either bone graft or plate and nails, which ...  Read Full »

Dr. Lokesh

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. This will not heal and so no point in waiting for it to heal. You need to get this intramedullary nail removed. The following treatment has to be done. Get the fracture site open, remove the fibrous tissue, get bleeding fracture surfaces and apply a plate and cerclage wi...  Read Full »

Is it necessary to put cast for green-stick fracture in a 6-month-old?

Query: Hello doctor, My daughter fell from a 50 cm high bed on a carpeted floor. Three days later, her mother and I noticed that her right leg was not as active as the left one. Although she was not complaining from pain, it was very clear that she tried to avoid moving her right leg. She is 6.5 months ol...  Read Full »

Dr. Anuj Gupta

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Your daughter has greenstick fracture of the distal femur. The cast which your doctor is asking to apply is hip spica. First of all, ideally hip spica should be applied under anesthesia to facilitate reduction of bone fragments but in this case, since no reduction is re...  Read Full »

Had treatment for displaced femur fracture. Can I walk like before without limping?

Query: Hi doctor, I had a left femur midshaft fracture while playing in a garden. It was a displaced fracture. So I underwent ORIF. A titanium rod was inserted before 57 days. Can I walk like before without limping and when? And there is no sensation in the upper thigh. Why?  Read Full »

Dr. Anuj Gupta

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Since you are 15 years old, there are good chances that you will be able to walk soon because children's bone can unite fast. It has been more than six weeks so I think you can start putting partial weight on that limb. But before that, I would like to have a look at yo...  Read Full »