Q. What could be the reason for nose drainage after FESS?

Dr. Prasun Mishra
and medically reviewed by Dr. Nithila A
Published on Oct 03, 2019

I had a FESS done before five months. Shortly after I noticed clear drainage from my nose. I had a pledget study done that confirm a bilateral CSF leak. Five weeks ago, I had sx to repair it, however in sx under intrathecal fluorescein, and the surgeon could not locate the leak. Nose still leaking and Beta 2 transferrin test came back negative.

On Atrovent, for two days nose still drips, especially when bending over. Do I get a second opinion or assume it is caused by chronic rhinitis and start on a nasal spray that combines a steroid or antihistamine in it as my surgeon suggests? I never had any problems with a runny or drippy nose like this until after I had my sinus surgery.

Dr. Prasun Mishra

Otolaryngology (E.N.T)
#

CSF rhinorrhea is a known complication of extensive FESS (functional endoscopic sinus surgery). If a pledget had shown confirmed CSK leak, it sure needs to be investigated. Small leaks heal and recover by themselves however, if the leak persists longer, then it needs to be sealed by endoscopic surgery. In your case, any watery discharge from the nose should not be ignored. Especially if the release is more during bending, coughing, straining lifting weight etc. You may need an MRI, but I suggest meet an ENT endoscopic surgeon for further treatment. Sometimes this can get serious, so it is essential to meet your doctor.

Fussy Eaters: How to Complete Their Nutritional Needs

Article Overview: Many parents face the issue of their toddler not wanting to eat nutritious food. Kids these days love having junk food and end up developing cavities. They might prefer unhealthy packed processed foods and other chips which are bad for health but might refuse to eat healthier alternatives. So, how to get them to eat healthy food? Read Article

Dr. Krystel Quadros
Child Health Specialist

Few tips might help your child develop a liking for healthy food - Incorporate Variety in Your Kid's Diet Kids do not like to eat the same foods daily. For example, if you give your child a bottle gourd every day, he might get bored of it and start developing a hatred towards that food. Introducin...  Read Article

Can e-cigarette cause shortness of breath?

Query: Hi doctor, I am suffering from shortness of breath after vaping e-cigarette. I consulted doctors and they said my lungs are fine. I read on the internet that a lot of people suffering with the same. When I reduce my e-cigarette I feel better. Also, I had FESS surgery and SMR before two weeks. My c...  Read Full >>

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have carefully reviewed your case and can well establish the issues you are facing right now. Actually, the chemicals in e-cigarette are very dangerous for the lungs and airways. They cause narrowing of the small airways due to toxic effects caused directly by the vap...  Read Full

After a fall, noticed blood in my dad's nose. Should I be worried?

Query: Hi doctor, My dad met with a fall in the bathroom today and bled from the right side of his nose. The bleeding stopped after 2 minutes, but I noticed that the nose contains a few drops of blood. I took him to the ER and had an x-ray. But, my doctor advised us to go home and have a review after a wee...  Read Full >>

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. From the x-ray that you shared (attachment removed to protect patient identity), I cannot make out any nasal bone fracture. The bleeding is due to injury to the nose. If there is no active bleeding and no fracture detectable in the x-ray, then we manage the same conser...  Read Full