Q. The scan says my baby's growth is 10 days behind its age. Please advise.

Dr. Sanjay Kumar Bhattacharyya
This is a premium question & answer published on Aug 24, 2017 and last reviewed on: Oct 09, 2018

I am a 35 year old female. I am 22 weeks and two days pregnant and was told at my last scan that the baby is about 10 days behind in size. All the other readings were normal, and the growth of the brain was normal for the gestational age. We are not very tall people. My husband is 5 feet and 7 inches, and I am 5 feet and 1 inch. My question is, is it normal to be behind by these many days? We were suggested to go for an amniocentesis and have a look for Down's syndrome. I had a nuchal translucency test at week 13, which was 1.71 and the fetal anatomy was considered normal. We are in two minds whether we should go for an amniocentesis or wait until the next scan which is in another 10 days. I have read somewhere that lack of proper nutrients to the baby can also be a cause. Any advice would be appreciated as this our first baby, and we would like some inputs, please.

#

I can understand your concern.

• There is always some discrepancy while trying to assess the fetal age by ultrasonography (USG) and comparing it with your last menstruation period date. The discrepancies are:
  1. In a USG done in the first three months, there is a discrepancy of 1 week.
  2. In a USG done between four to six months, there can be a discrepancy of 2 weeks.
  3. In a USG done between seven to nine months, there can be a discrepancy of 3 weeks.
  • So, as per this, the difference is entirely within the limit.
  • The NT scan, as well as the anomaly scan, are in the range. You can go for the next scan but, it will not help you much as your fetus is not lagging behind actually.

For more information consult an obstetrician and gynaecologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/obstetrician-and-gynaecologist

So, a baby who is said to be lagging behind by two weeks is actually not lagging behind but, is very normal in the second semester. Am I correct? We personally do not want to go for an amniocentesis. But, what would be your suggestion?

#

• Yes, you got my point. A two-week difference is acceptable at 22 weeks.
  • Now, the easiest way to find out if the baby is growing well is by repeating the scan at the same center and by the same doctor but, not right away. Do it after three weeks. Look for an increase in body weight of the fetus and increase in fetal age by three weeks in comparison to the previous scan, whatever be the earlier age.
  • Another simple method is to measure your body weight at an interval of two weeks. If you have gained weight, even by 500 g in those two weeks, your baby is growing well. 

Stay relaxed.

For more information consult an obstetrician and gynaecologist onine --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/obstetrician-and-gynaecologist

|