Q. Do I have any risk due to the posterior position of placenta?

Dr. Digvijay
Published on Sep 20, 2018

I am 11 weeks 2 days pregnant and as per my US report placenta is posterior, low lying, just covering the OS. Retroplacental area is clear and placental maturity is grade 0. I previously had two C-section birth. Is there any chance of shifting the placenta upper or do I have any risk due to the position of the placenta? I am really worried. Kindly suggest.

Dr. Digvijay

Obstetrics And Gynaecology
#

It is the first-trimester scan. It is good that it is posterior placenta with previous two C-section. If it is anterior, then it is difficult to travel upward. Higher chances of an adherent placenta in the anterior placenta. You need serial monitoring by ultrasonography. Do at 19 to 20 weeks for baby anomalies, placental location and to rule out any adherent placenta.

Again do ultrasonography at eight months for confirmation. Mostly placenta migrates upward as baby and uterus grow. For now, do the following: Bed rest, avoid lifting of weight and prolonged traveling, watch for any bleeding, keep follow up with gynecologist regularly.

I am pregnant.My ultrasound report scares me.What precautions should I take?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 35 year old female. I am about 4 months pregnant. This is my second baby, my first kid is 6 years old and my first delivery was a normal one. Ultrasound report says anterior is asymmetrically covering the OS. Is there a possibility for normal delivery? Is there a chance for...  Read Full »

Does absence of fetal heartbeat on ultrasound confirm abortion?

Query: Hello doctor, My wife is six weeks and five days pregnant. In the fourth week, she got pain in the stomach and back. So, there were two ultrasound reports. The first was taken in five weeks and six days where the gestational sac was 2.33 cm with no heartbeats found. The second ultrasound was six w...  Read Full »

What do the orange spots on my fetal ultrasound scan mean?

Query: Hello doctor,I have a fimbrial ectopic pregnancy in my left tube. I received my internal ultrasound pictures but do not know how to read them. I am wondering what the orange spots are meaning on my ultrasound and where the fetus would be? I was told it was about 2 cm.  Read Full »