Q. Both kidneys are hyperechoic in a fetal ultrasound. Why?

Dr. Eeshani Dutta

What does both kidney slightly hyperechoic in an ultrasound indicate? I am 19 weeks pregnant and very worried about my baby.

Dr. Eeshani Dutta

Obstetrics And Gynaecology
#

Hyperechogenicity in kidneys is seen in some congenital polycystic renal diseases leading to renal failure in late childhood or adulthood. But in fetuses, this marker has been studied sparsely. These studies have shown that if the amniotic fluid around the baby is adequate as per gestational age, outcomes are favorable like no kidney impairment. Please follow up with USG growth scan every three weeks to note the fluid level and liver echogenicity as well. If follow up reports remain within normal limits, it is just a normal variant. No need to worry in such conditions.

|