Q. Being pregnant, suffering from pain in lower abdomen and back. Is it labour pain?

This is a premium question & answer published on May 16, 2018 and last reviewed on: Oct 09, 2018

Since last few days my wife (she is pregnant) is suffering from pain in the lower abdomen and back. We have visited our gynaecologist to watch whether the pain is due to labour or not. After checking, he said the pain is not for labour. He prescribed pain killer Duvadilan retard (Isoxsuprine capsules) twice a day for five weeks, giving an opinion that he does not want any labour before the end of 37th week of pregnancy.

Last week she had pain again and my doctor advised her to observe one night with Drotin injection. She was fine with that and the doctor adviced for steroid injection (attachment) the next day and discharged her by advising that if pain arises again, she has to go for C-section or otherwise he will go for the same after 2 weeks.

Today, from morning our baby suddenly stopped its movement for quite a long time. So, we got afraid and asked for an appointment with our doctor. He has given appointment in the evening only. We have done a USG now and have sent you the report. Kindly interpret the same.  Do you think there is any deficiency in the treatment process? What is the actual reason for those injections? Will they harm our baby? How is our baby ?

And finally I want to tell you that my wife has lost 1 Kg in the last 2 weeks. What may be its cause and will it harm my baby? She still is suffering with pain in the back and lower abdomen, as well as vagina. What to do?

#

I have gone through the reports (attachment removed to protect patient identity). The ultrasound report is perfectly fine and the baby is average 36 weeks of gestation and head down position, placenta is normal and so is the AFI (Amniotic Fluid Index) and weight of the baby.

As the baby is 36 weeks sonologically there was actually no requirement for an antenatal corticosteroid injection for promoting fetal lung maturity, which is being given only before 34 weeks gestation in cases of threatened preterm labour when it is suspected that the lady may go in labour and the baby may not be able to breathe once out in external environment. Hence steroids are given, but by now lungs have matured and baby can survive easily after birth. But that injection given prophylactically has no harm at all.

The pain in lower back and lower abdomen is normal to have. Now, in the late third trimester, she would have frequent urination feeling very often. She would experience Braxton Hicks contractions which are mimicking labour contractions but are not labour as they are not intense, increasing in frequency and not continuous. So, they just come and go. It can be mistaken as false labour.

If the pain subsides with any pain relief given or uterine relaxant given, then it is not labour.

The plan to deliver after 37 weeks is acceptable but with an elective c-section is not justified. If the baby is fine, head is down, baby movements are normal ,then a vaginal delivery should always be opted for unless there is an indication to do elective c-section earlier like hypertension, breech, genital infection, gestational diabetes. That is my concern here.

Keep a watch on the daily fetal movements of the baby, 1 hour after each meal, and the daily count should be more than 10 movements.

Go for weekly antenatal visits religiously for examination till delivery.

Consult an obstetrician and gynaecologist online for further follow up --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/obstetrician-and-gynaecologist

|