Q. Being pregnant, suffering from pain in lower abdomen and back. Is it labour pain?

Published on May 16, 2018 and last reviewed on: Oct 09, 2018

Since last few days my wife (she is pregnant) is suffering from pain in the lower abdomen and back. We have visited our gynaecologist to watch whether the pain is due to labour or not. After checking, he said the pain is not for labour. He prescribed pain killer Duvadilan retard (Isoxsuprine capsules) twice a day for five weeks, giving an opinion that he does not want any labour before the end of 37th week of pregnancy.

Last week she had pain again and my doctor advised her to observe one night with Drotin injection. She was fine with that and the doctor adviced for steroid injection (attachment) the next day and discharged her by advising that if pain arises again, she has to go for C-section or otherwise he will go for the same after 2 weeks.

Today, from morning our baby suddenly stopped its movement for quite a long time. So, we got afraid and asked for an appointment with our doctor. He has given appointment in the evening only. We have done a USG now and have sent you the report. Kindly interpret the same.  Do you think there is any deficiency in the treatment process? What is the actual reason for those injections? Will they harm our baby? How is our baby ?

And finally I want to tell you that my wife has lost 1 Kg in the last 2 weeks. What may be its cause and will it harm my baby? She still is suffering with pain in the back and lower abdomen, as well as vagina. What to do?

Infertility Obstetrics And Gynaecology
#

I have gone through the reports (attachment removed to protect patient identity). The ultrasound report is perfectly fine and the baby is average 36 weeks of gestation and head down position, placenta is normal and so is the AFI (Amniotic Fluid Index) and weight of the baby.

As the baby is 36 weeks sonologically there was actually no requirement for an antenatal corticosteroid injection for promoting fetal lung maturity, which is being given only before 34 weeks gestation in cases of threatened preterm labour when it is suspected that the lady may go in labour and the baby may not be able to breathe once out in external environment. Hence steroids are given, but by now lungs have matured and baby can survive easily after birth. But that injection given prophylactically has no harm at all.

The pain in lower back and lower abdomen is normal to have. Now, in the late third trimester, she would have frequent urination feeling very often. She would experience Braxton Hicks contractions which are mimicking labour contractions but are not labour as they are not intense, increasing in frequency and not continuous. So, they just come and go. It can be mistaken as false labour.

If the pain subsides with any pain relief given or uterine relaxant given, then it is not labour.

The plan to deliver after 37 weeks is acceptable but with an elective c-section is not justified. If the baby is fine, head is down, baby movements are normal ,then a vaginal delivery should always be opted for unless there is an indication to do elective c-section earlier like hypertension, breech, genital infection, gestational diabetes. That is my concern here.

Keep a watch on the daily fetal movements of the baby, 1 hour after each meal, and the daily count should be more than 10 movements.

Go for weekly antenatal visits religiously for examination till delivery.

Consult an obstetrician and gynaecologist online for further follow up --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/obstetrician-and-gynaecologist

What are the risks for the baby if my wife delivers at 37 weeks?

Query: Hi doctor,My wife aged 23 years have autoantibodies SSA strong positive 3+, SSB borderline positive and RO 52 strong positive 3+. She lost her first pregnancy before a year because complete congenital heart block (CHB) was found in the fetus by TIFFA at19 weeks with a condition of fetal hydrops br...  Read Full >>

Dr. Deepti Verma
Fetal Medicine Specialist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have gone through your question and understood your concerns. I have reviewed the reports (attachment removed to protect patient identity) and the prescription. Delivery should be conducted at 37 weeks if there is fetal growth restriction in ultrasound. In the ultrasou...  Read Full

Can no movement during pregnancy mean Down's syndrome?

Query: Hello doctor, I am 13 weeks pregnant. I have not felt any movement, this is the second pregnancy. I recently went to the hospital two weeks ago and did a blood test, they informed me that I needed a Down's syndrome test done and I have straight Medicaid and no one in my area covers straight Medicai...  Read Full >>

Dr. Eeshani Dutta

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. During the late first trimester, nuchal translucency test by ultrasound and double marker test (BhCG, PAPP-A) are done to rule out 80 % cases of Down's, Edward, Patau syndrome. These are normal screening methods, generally covered in Medicare. If you are screened positive...  Read Full

I have constant lower back pain for many years. What can be the cause?

Query: Hi doctor,I have seen many doctors regarding lower back problems since the past two years. I have had two courses of physiotherapy with no real improvement and cortisone injections, which also did not help. I have also had two CT scans and an MRI, and I have attached the reports. I am also prescrib...  Read Full >>

Dr. Sudheer Ambekar
Neuro Surgeon

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Looking at your symptoms and all the attached reports (attachment removed to protect patient identity), it makes me think that you need to be investigated by a rheumatologist or an immunologist for possible rheumatoid or other arthropathies. There is no evidence of si...  Read Full