Q. Being pregnant, suffering from pain in lower abdomen and back. Is it labour pain?

Answered by Dr. Sameer Kumar and medically reviewed by iCliniq medical review team.

Do you have a question on Labour Contractions or Labour? We have medical experts to help you right away. Ask a Doctor Now »
Image: Being pregnant, suffering from pain in lower abdomen and back.  Is it labour pain?

Since last few days my wife (she is pregnant) is suffering from pain in the lower abdomen and back. We have visited our gynaecologist to watch whether the pain is due to labour or not. After checking, he said the pain is not for labour. He prescribed pain killer Duvadilan retard (Isoxsuprine capsules) twice a day for five weeks, giving an opinion that he does not want any labour before the end of 37th week of pregnancy.

Last week she had pain again and my doctor advised her to observe one night with Drotin injection. She was fine with that and the doctor adviced for steroid injection (attachment) the next day and discharged her by advising that if pain arises again, she has to go for C-section or otherwise he will go for the same after 2 weeks.

Today, from morning our baby suddenly stopped its movement for quite a long time. So, we got afraid and asked for an appointment with our doctor. He has given appointment in the evening only. We have done a USG now and have sent you the report. Kindly interpret the same.  Do you think there is any deficiency in the treatment process? What is the actual reason for those injections? Will they harm our baby? How is our baby ?

And finally I want to tell you that my wife has lost 1 Kg in the last 2 weeks. What may be its cause and will it harm my baby? She still is suffering with pain in the back and lower abdomen, as well as vagina. What to do?