HomeAnswersPediatricsfeverMy son is 3.4 years old and suffers from fever since yesterday night. What can be done?

How to treat fever in a 3.4-year-old child?

Share

The following is an actual conversation between an iCliniq user and a doctor that has been reviewed and published as a Premium Q&A.

Medically reviewed by

iCliniq medical review team

Published At November 22, 2023
Reviewed AtJanuary 8, 2024

Patient's Query

My son is 3.4 years old and he has had a fever since yesterday night. The fever is 101 degrees Fahrenheit and above. I have already given Paracetamol 250 mg, four times today, as the fever reduced but again came back within three hours. I want to know if can I give him Paracetamol at night and also if he gets a fever again. I have maintained a gap of four hours. He does not have a cold or cough, he is fine, just that he ate much less than usual. We are giving him liquids in good quantity. Rest there does not seem any other issue with the child. Kindly suggest.

Paracetamol can be given in a gap of four hours, which means that you can give it four to even six times a day as required. You can give it at night depending on the fever provided the gap of four hours is maintained. Do sponging if the fever comes before four hours to bring the temperature down. If the temperature is 102 degrees Fahrenheit or more, you can give a syrup of Ibugesic plus 1.5 ml (Ibuprofen and Paracetamol) SOS six to eight hourly. If the temperature stays above 100 degrees Fahrenheit for more than three days or if the temperature crosses 103 degrees Fahrenheit, it is advisable to get evaluated physically by a pediatrician with possible blood investigations based on physical examination.

Patient's Query

we were measuring temperature with infrared thermometer which fluctuated a lot n gave us wrong readings,now we have got digital thermometer, i have observed that if i don't give medicine after 5 hours, the temperature is rising higher n higher towards 103, for that i need to maintain gap of 5 hours n even if there is less fever i sld give medicine to keep it in control else it raises high, hope i am doing right thing. please let me know how many days this fever will last, can Banana be given ? there is no other symptoms like cold or cough,can we give milk. the food intake is reduced a lot, if there is food strike,he will loose on energy. ors , fruits are given to him.
Fever of 103 F is quite high. I would definitely recommend to take the child to a pediatrician for complete Physical examination/blood investigations. Till then: 1. Treat with fever medications only if temperature is 100 F or more (medications to be decided based on temperature and duration between each medication to be maintained as mentioned previously). 2. Banana and Milk can be given. 3. Keep him well hydrated.

Same symptoms don't mean you have the same problem. Consult a doctor now!

Dr. Faisal Abdul Karim Malim
Dr. Faisal Abdul Karim Malim

Pediatrics

Community Banner Mobile

iCliniq's FREE Newsletters

Expert-backed health and wellness information, delivered to your email.

Subscribe iCliniq
By clicking Subscribe, I agree to the iCliniq Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy and understand that I may opt out of iCliniq subscriptions at any time.

Read answers about:

ibuprofenparacetamolfever

Ask your health query to a doctor online

Pediatrics

*guaranteed answer within 4 hours

This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. iCliniq privacy policy