Paracetamol

Paracetamol, also known as Acetaminophen is a medicine used to treat fever and pain. It is used in combination with other drugs to relieve cold.

I have dengue from three days. When should I go to the hospital?

Query: Hi doctor, I have dengue from the last three days. The platelets have dropped from 197 to 129 today. I have the following questions: My fever fluctuates between 101 to 104 despite having Paracetamol. Is that normal? Also, when should I get admitted to the hospital? When does the body start producing...  Read Full »

Dr. Muhammad Majid Hanif

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Fever can prevail from three to seven days and after that, there is no fever and that no-fever period is more important and can be critical. You need to keep a follow-up with your treating physician until it is all over and you recover fully. The fluctuating fever is...  Read Full »

How can I mange pain in uvula and soft palate due to laryngeal mask?

Query: Hello doctor, I had laryngeal mask during IVF egg collection, and when I woke up, I could not bear the pain in the uvula and soft palate. Now its day four and I am crying. I had an embryo transfer, but I cannot take antibiotics now as it hurts and burns during swallowing. I am worried that my immune...  Read Full »

Dr. Shyam Kalyan. N

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I saw the picture (attachment removed to protect patient identity). The tonsils, uvula, soft palate and posterior pharyngeal wall look congested. To relieve the pain you may take Paracetamol 650 mg 1 tablet SOS. If you cannot take that you can chew Lidocam (Benzo...  Read Full »

What is the dosage of Meftal P for 5 years 10 months old kid with fever?

Query: Hello doctor, What is the dosage of Meftal P for 5 years 10 months old boy whose weight is 20 kg, and is suffering from high fever for the past one week? I gave him Dolo 250, but it did not show any effect. I have read online that 25 mg per kg can be given in 24 hours. Is the minimum gap 8 hours? Or...  Read Full »

Dr. Babu Lal Meena

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Mefenamic acid (Meftal) is not recommended for children below 14 years age group. So, we cannot give it to him. Using plain Paracetamol is a good option. Do not use round the clock. Use when it is necessary (temperature greater than 100 degrees Fahrenheit). You can give ...  Read Full »

Can Zyrtec be given to help cure running nose and nasal congestion in a kid?

Query: Hello doctor, My 3-year-old son weighing 19 kg seems to develop running nose along with nasal congestion today afternoon. He also seems to have some amount of breathing difficulty today while sleeping, although he does not have any background in asthma. I have some questions: I have given him Zyrte...  Read Full »

Dr. Preeti Puranik

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. The dose of Cetirizine is fine and you can give it for two days more and see. If there is no improvement then kindly do a physical examination. Nasoclear nasal spray can be easily used in form of spray be inserting the tip into the nostril and pressing it. The child...  Read Full »

Why do I have testicular pain after lifting a heavy object?

Query: Hello doctor,I am a 28 year old male. I have a dull pain in my right testicle leading to my abdomen. I believe it started when I lifted something heavy. At the moment, it is a dull pain but, if I feel it, then it is worse. I am currently out of my home country on work and do not want to go to a loc...  Read Full »

Dr. Pratyush Kumar

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I understand your concern regarding a pain in the right testicle after lifting a heavy object. It would be helpful to know some more details. Does lifting the scrotum relieve you of the pain? Is there a history of fever? In the case of an acute onset pain, it i...  Read Full »

How can common cold in a pregnant woman be treated?

Query: Hello doctor, My wife is 23 years old and she is suffering from common cold attack. The symptoms are sneezing, headache. She is 3 months pregnant. What medicines can she take?  Read Full »

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Since how many days is she having this attack? If it is for just one to two days, then we would better wait and will not start any antibiotics. She should have tablet Levocetirizine 5 mg twice a day for two days and tablet Paracetamol 500 mg if she is febrile and fe...  Read Full »

Do PKD patients have an urge to urinate always?

Query: Hi doctor, I am 17 years old. I was born with polycystic kidney disease. When I was 14, I was diagnosed as I was having severe chest pain and dizzy spells. I am currently four months postpartum. Since my son was born I have not been able to use the bathroom as frequently as most. It never caused me ...  Read Full »

Dr. Abhishek Dixit

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Since you are a patient of polycystic kidney disease, you will be more prone for urinary tract infections, urinary stones or cysts, which could burst and form clots, which can result in obstruction. One cannot be sure unless you get a sonography done. Since you say...  Read Full »

While breastfeeding, which medicine can I take for cold?

Query: Hi doctor, I am 31 years old. My height is 5'9", and weight is 68 kg. Currently, I am not taking any medication. I am breastfeeding my nine months old on demand during the night and three to four times during the day. My classic symptoms of cold started at the weekend. I had a mild sore throat, bloc...  Read Full »

Dr. Lokesh

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. The only safe drug that you can take while breastfeeding is tablet Paracetamol 500 mg thrice daily for three days after food. You can do hot water vaporization for nasal congestion. You should avoid taking any other medications till you are breastfeeding. Yes, ...  Read Full »

What may be the reason for pain on the back side of roof of the mouth?

Query: Hi doctor, I have very bad pain on the back left roof of my mouth. My left top and bottom teeth, jaw and the left side of my tongue is really sore. I felt that there is a hard lump, which feels like a bone and it is excruciating to touch it. It hurts to swallow, yawn and makes my ear pop. The bump i...  Read Full »

Dr. Ashok Kumar Srivastava

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I understand your concern and it appears as you are having, Left peritonsillar abscess. Ectopic salivary gland on palate with secondary infection. For both the above conditions you have to consult your ENT doctor (ear, nose and throat specialist) for examination a...  Read Full »

What medicines to give baby if fever is back in one hour with Paracetamol?

Query: Hello doctor, My 10 month-old daughter has been sick for five days. She had cough with congestion and flu without fever. The doctor has given her Ciprofloxacin for five days. From today, she has a fever of 38 to 38.9 degrees Celsius as I checked from her armpit. Kindly tell me what should I do? I ha...  Read Full »

Dr. Bhaisara Baraturam Bhagrati

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I understand your concern. I suggest you give her Crocin (Paracetamol) 5 ml every four to six hours (Paracetamol 5 ml equals 125 mg). If fever is persistently more than 100 F, give her syrup Meftal P 2.5 ml (Mefenamic acid 5 ml equals 100 mg) every six hourly. Consu...  Read Full »