Q. Is there a permanent cure for abdomen pain caused by uterus fibroids?

Answered by
Dr. Gowrimeena
and medically reviewed by iCliniq medical review team.
This is a premium question & answer published on Jun 23, 2016 and last reviewed on: May 12, 2020

Hi doctor,

My sister is 46 years old now. She got married 17 years back and have a girl child of age 15. For nearly 10 years, she is having abdominal pain, which will occur during the periods and will last for five days. It will start two days before periods and will last three or four days after it. The pain will be more and sometimes intolerable. It will not even reduce with painkiller and the pain will be more during night-time with the following symptoms. Lack of appetite, lower abdominal pain, breathing difficulty, indigestion, bolting and constipation. All these symptoms will persist until the pain is there. She had been frequently visiting doctors for treatment, but the doctor says that she has no major problem in the stomach. She was diagnosed with fibroid 10 years back and the size was small. The doctors also said that the fibroid will not have pain as she feel. Whenever the pain is more she used to visits the hospital. It will be six to seven visit a year and yearly once she will be treated with antibiotics for severe infection.

During her last period 30 days back the pain started and did not reduce until now. The pain was so severe and for the last four days she had mild fever. So, she visited a doctor and he advised for a CT scan. After seeing the results he suggested to immediately go for surgery and advised to get her uterus removed and also said she might have cancer. When we went for a second opinion to another doctor, she said there is some uterus infection and advised medicine for that and asked to come back after two weeks.

I have attached the CT scan and report, kindly comment on it. Based on the results, is there a chance of cancer, which the local doctor has said? The problem exists for nearly 10 years and many times due to intolerable pain, she used to roll on the floor, Is there any permanent cure for it? I have attached the prescription too. Can we continue it or should go for further investigations? Why infections reappear yearly? As advised by the local doctor, is removal of the uterus is necessary? Will it give a permanent solution? Please suggest me if any other investigation or treatment is needed or to be followed?



Welcome to icliniq.com.

After going through the detailed information given by you, the issues I think need resolution are as follows:

Regarding fibroid it need removal as that is an important cause of pain abdomen. It can be done laparoscopically at this age. My suggestion is to remove the uterus instead of the fibroid alone.

For pancreatic lipoma, you should get a second opinion on this with gastroenterology specialists before planning fibroid surgery.

Vaginal infections can be tackled easily. It is not a major concern.

After gastroenterologist opinion, we will plan for MRI scan if required.

Endometrial biopsy or dilation and curettage with pap smear is mandatory prior to definitive surgery.

Treatment plan:

Surgery - Hysterectomy.

Regarding follow up:

Revert back for further doubts to an obstetrician and gynaecologist online.---> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/obstetrician-and-gynaecologist

Thank you doctor,

I am so pleased for the detailed information. Kindly clarify if she can continue the current medications for the full course. Is the pain during period occurring due to fibroids or due to endometrial disorder or both? Is hysterectomy the only solution for this problem?



Welcome back to icliniq.com.

She can continue these medicines at the moment until definitive decision is made.

In case of emergency, please contact nearby hospital. After the detailed face to face consultation and full assessment of your sister, we can take the right decision to help her.

The Probable causes:


Investigations to be done:

MRI after consultation.

Probable diagnosis:


Treatment plan:


Regarding follow up:

Revert back with the investigation reports to an obstetrician and gynaecologist online.---> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/obstetrician-and-gynaecologist

Was this answer helpful?



This is a sponsored Ad. icliniq or icliniq doctors do not endorse the content in the Ad.

Also Read Answers From:

Comprehensive Medical Second Opinion.Submit your Case

Related Questions & Answers

How quickly should surgery be done for uterine fibroid?

Query: Hi doctor, I am 46 and a mother of three children. I have been diagnosed with multiple fibroids a few in the anterior wall intramural and a few on the posterior wall and a bulky 134 x 74 x 87 mm uterus. The endometrium is displaced posteriorly. The symptom is mainly heavy menstrual bleeding that las...  Read Full »

Can I use Terbinaforce plus cream for a vaginal infection?

Query: Hello doctor,Can Terbinaforce plus cream be used for a vaginal infection? I have itching after periods. Please guide.  Read Full »

Why am I having spotting even after getting a hysterectomy?

Query: Hi doctor, I am spotting for the past three days. I had complete hysterectomy about 23 years ago and I am not sexually active. Why am I spotting? Should I be concerned? I am currently on Plavix, Aspirin and Lipitor.  Read Full »

Also Read

COVID-19 Vaccines
A COVID-19 vaccine provides acquired immunity against the new Coronavirus. Read the article to know everything about the...  Read more»
Does CD marker help in identification of blood cancer?
Hi doctor, I am a 25-year-old male suffering from joint pain and pain in the knees. I also have nausea, vomiting, gynec...  Read more»
I suddenly got fainted and woked up with bruising in eyes. Why?
Hi doctor,I am 28 years old with normal weight and following a vegetarian diet. Last month, I fainted at home and my fri...  Read more»

Ask your health query to a doctor online?

Ask an Obstetrician & Gynaecologist Now

* guaranteed answer within 4 hours.

Disclaimer: All health Q&As published on this website are not intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek the advice from your physician or other qualified health-care providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website.