Q. Can fibroadenoma with cyst BI-RADS 2 to 3 lead to cancer?

Dr. Ravi Kumar
This is a premium question & answer published on Mar 17, 2018 and last reviewed on: Oct 09, 2018

My mother aged 49 years old was diagnosed with a fibrocystic disease of breast seven years back and was subsequently operated. Since then, she has got a cyst in both breasts. Last year, she was got USG done, and the doctor found fibroadenoma along with cyst BI-RADS (2 to 3) in the left breast. The doctor asked her to review after 6 to 12 months. Recently, she discovered a lump in her left armpit which is small and can be felt only after touching. Is it anything serious? Also, please tell that does these diseases cause an increase in chances of breast cancer. She also has a fibroid in the uterus, and for that, the doctor prescribed Sevista 60 tablet twice a week, and he said that fibroadenoma would go after taking Sevista.

#

Based on the report (attachment removed to protect patient identity), fibrocystic disease of breast and fibroid uterus, both of them are due to hormones, mainly estrogen. When using Sevista (Ormeloxifene), the fibroid in the uterus will decrease.

For breast condition, BI-RAD 2 to 3 means it is was a benign (it can regress) condition (not cancer). Treatment depends on menopause. If she has not attained menopause, then she has to use Sevista. If she has attained menopause, after some time, Sevista can be stopped. With menopause, the fibroid can disappear. Fibrocyst of the breast may persist, but malignancy is very rare.

At present, no need to worry. Frequent six months or yearly once monitoring with ultrasound is enough. Further treatment depends on whether she had excessive bleeding (menstruation), her calcium levels, family history of breast or other cancer.

For more information consult an internal medicine physician online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/internal-medicine-physician

|