Q. There is a painless swelling inside the lips. Could it be a cancer?

Dr. Soheel Hussain Zargar
Published on Nov 07, 2018

My mother has a swelling inside her lips. It is not painful, and it is not getting healed. She consulted a doctor. The doctor told that the swelling had occurred due to an allergic reaction. Is it cancer? Please suggest.

#

Every swelling is not cancer. It can be a fibroma. It occurs due to trauma or biting lips. The second one is a mucocele. It is a swelling of sebaceous glands. It also occurs due to injury or biting. Both are non-cancerous. Please send a picture of it. So that, I can guide you further.

Please say whether your mother has a habit of nail-biting. The management depends on the size and nature of the swelling. It may need some drugs or excision. You can consult a dentist and an oral medicine specialist soon for treating it. Please mention about her habits, drug history, and the presence of any sharp tooth in her mouth.

Why do I get frequent itchy rashes and bumps on my skin during my periods?

Query: Hi doctor, I am a 31 year old female. I have rashes and bumps, that itch and look like they are big bites, but they are not. They come and go in different places and are more frequent around the time of my periods. I have had these bumps for seven months now. I am attaching a picture, what are thes...  Read Full >>

Dr. Shaikh Sadaf
Diabetologist, Endocrinologist, Family Physician, General Practitioner

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I just read your query and saw the attachment provided by you (attachment removed to protect patient identity), and it appears that you have urticaria or hives in simpler terms. These usually occur when your immune system is a bit low such as during your periods, af...  Read Full

From the photos, kindly tell me if the fibroma on my soft palate is cancerous.

Query: Hi doctor, I am a 49 year old female weighing 135 lb. I am a smoker, I have had a sore in the soft palate area from two months. Initially, my dentist gave treatment for an ulcer. But now it has recurred, and my dentist believes it to be a fibroma. I read fibromas do not usually appear on soft pal...  Read Full >>

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. After seeing the pictures (attachment removed to protect patient identity), the lesion looks like a fibroma. It is not a diagnosis neither this is the way we go clinically especially when it comes to diagnosis of suspicious growth. Fibromas are very common among oral gro...  Read Full

Why do I have a water bubble under my tongue?

Query: Hello doctor, I have had swollen glands for a few months now. I have seen an ENT doctor for the same. He ran a blood test and it came back normal. He told me give it a month and they should go down. They have not gone down or grown. Before going to the ENT doctor, I also visited a dentist and got to...  Read Full >>

Answer: Hi , Welcome to icliniq.com. The swollen gland can be due to the infected molar. An infected tooth also can cause swollen glands in the neck. The swollen glands will subside only if the infection site is cleared. Get it treated as soon as possible. Visit the dentist, get an x-ray (IOPA - Intraoral P...  Read Full