Q. There is a painless swelling inside the lips. Could it be a cancer?

Dr. Soheel Hussain Zargar

My mother has a swelling inside her lips. It is not painful, and it is not getting healed. She consulted a doctor. The doctor told that the swelling had occurred due to an allergic reaction. Is it cancer? Please suggest.

#

Every swelling is not cancer. It can be a fibroma. It occurs due to trauma or biting lips. The second one is a mucocele. It is a swelling of sebaceous glands. It also occurs due to injury or biting. Both are non-cancerous. Please send a picture of it. So that, I can guide you further.

Please say whether your mother has a habit of nail-biting. The management depends on the size and nature of the swelling. It may need some drugs or excision. You can consult a dentist and an oral medicine specialist soon for treating it. Please mention about her habits, drug history, and the presence of any sharp tooth in her mouth.

|