Q. My mother is having pus secretion from gallbladder bed after gallstone removal. What is the reason?

Dr. Kumar Sonal
This is a premium question & answer published on Dec 19, 2019 and last reviewed on: Dec 21, 2019

My mother has undergone a gallstone and uterus removal surgery simultaneously. From the day of operation, she is having pus secretion from the gall bladder bed. What may be the possible reasons behind this?

Dr. Kumar Sonal

General Surgery
#

Sorry to hear about your mother's complaints. Pus from the surgical site is worrisome. It may just be a surgical site infection, usually superficial and confined to the skin and it usually subsides with appropriate antibiotics. But since you have mentioned that the pus is from gallbladder bed, which means it is from an intraabdominal source, then it is a matter of grave concern and needs further evaluation both clinical and radiological along with biochemical parameters.

Is she having a fever? Was the drain placed after the surgery? Did the operating surgeon mention anything like empyema of the gall bladder or a mucocele? These are some more questions which need answering for more accurate knowhow about the cause of your mother's condition. Sit with your operating surgeon and have a clear discussion about it. He or She would be the best person to help you out.

Surgical site infection, Intraperitoneal abscess.

CBC (complete blood count), LFT (liver function test), RFT (renal function test), pus culture and sensitivity, USG (ultrasound) abdomen or a CECT (computed tomography) abdomen.

Depends on the cause. In case of SSI (surgical site infection) of the skin, a course of antibiotics depending on the culture and sensitivity report should cure it. In case of an intraabdominal abscess, a surgical drainage may even be required.

Maintain a sterile environment around the patient.

Follow up with your operating surgeon or any nearby surgeon.

|