Q. Why am I having a painless flap for three weeks in cheek near saliva hole?

Dr. Soheel Hussain Zargar
Published on May 20, 2019

I have a kind of flap in my mouth since three weeks in the inner left cheek near the saliva hole. At the beginning, it was bright red with light pain when I put my tongue on it, and now, the flap is the same color than the rest of my mouth and painless. What should I do?

#

In the absence of pain, it seems to be a case of fibroma, a non-benign lesion and you need not worry about that. This can be due to trauma, bite or sharp tooth or broken tooth in the area.

However, I need to rule out the possibility of stone in duct and tooth. Can you answer these questions: Do you feel any pain on chewing or during eating in any part of the mouth or gland? Is there any pain when you bite? Do you have any carious tooth in the region? Do you have any history of biting in that region? Any other problem for which you are taking medicines?

| 

No, I do not feel any pain at all. Sometimes, I bite my cheek, however, I do not remember to have bitten that high. And, never had caries.

#

Do not worry. It will relieve but remember if you bite, it may be due to irregular tooth which you can ask dentist to contour or smoothen. So, for your current problem, get Triamcinolone Acetonide gel or Kenacort gel and apply it three times daily with finger or cotton for five days. It will relieve.

However, if remains as such, you may require additional investigation that I will tell you later. But I hope you will get relieved and will not need that. Also, I advise you to maintain good oral hygiene by brushing, especially before going to bed.

| 

What is the spot on my tongue?

Query: Hello doctor, I have found this spot on my tongue for the past seven months and for the most part, has not really changed. No symptoms, but can sometimes feel the bumps when I run my finger over it. Does this look like it is a frictional problem or something worse? I am guessing friction based on w...  Read Full »

Why does the back of my tooth feel rough?

Query: Hello doctor, About three weeks ago I noticed the backs of only one of my teeth was rough. It has not gotten worse but it has not gotten any less rough after I brush it. On my third tooth forward from my 13 years old molars.  Read Full »

From the photos, kindly tell me if the fibroma on my soft palate is cancerous.

Query: Hi doctor, I am a 49 year old female weighing 135 lb. I am a smoker, I have had a sore in the soft palate area from two months. Initially, my dentist gave treatment for an ulcer. But now it has recurred, and my dentist believes it to be a fibroma. I read fibromas do not usually appear on soft pal...  Read Full »