Q. What could be the reason for pain in all my fingers?

Dr. K Shanmuganandan
This is a premium question & answer published on Jul 21, 2019 and last reviewed on: Jul 24, 2019

About a month ago, all of a sudden, I noticed pain in nearly all my fingers. It started primarily with the middle finger on the left hand. There was an immediate major stabbing pain for no reason at various times during the day. Sometimes wakes me at night. All fingers bother me now, not sure if it is the joints or the tendons in-between.

I cannot say I notice the pain or discomfort all day, but other times, I notice it all the time. Sometimes pressing around a joint bothers me but not all the time. Flexing the finger does not make it worse. Fingers are not particularly swollen, and my wedding rings come off the same as before. I have had a few bouts of gout in the past in big toes, not fingers. Otherwise, healthy male, no major health issues, take medications for high bp. I am going to see my family doctor today, but I am skeptical he is a finger specialist. I expect X-rays and blood tests, of course, but would like an early opinion what this could be, rather acutely and affecting many fingers.

#

I analyzed the symptoms which you had provided to me. From your lucid description, it looks like a tendinopathy or nerve pain. I am not favoring an arthritis problem as there is no swelling over the joints or anxiety. Do you have fever, neck pain, sausage-shaped finger, or local joint swelling? In any case, please use a gel ball for hand physiotherapy if it is tolerable to you.

|