Q. What can be done to treat severe nerve pain between left bum and leg?

Dr. Penchala Prasad Kandikattu

I have nerve pain between my left bum and left leg for the past two months. It is so painful that I cannot even walk, sit or lay down.

#

Are you obese? Are you diabetic? Any pain in the lower back? The possible causes are lumbar spondylosis with radiculopathy or compressive neuropathy or peripheral neuropathy or restless leg syndrome or arthritis if knee with bursitis or peripheral vascular disease, etc. You have to get it done, nerve conduction study and MRI of the lumbar spine. If necessary, you need a color Doppler of the lower limb. Use tablet Naprosyn 250 twice a day for five days. If your symptoms do not improve or develop an allergy to the above drug, please consult your physician or neurophysician. He will examine and treat you accordingly. Take care.

I am not obese or diabetic. Yesterday, I went to the hospital and he did MRI for LS spine and saw the report. He said the veins L3-L4, L4-L5, and L5-S1, are defective. What should I do now?

#

I have seen your MRI report (attachment removed to protect patient identity). There is a problem with your MRI spine which is showing the disc compression of thecal sac and nerve roots bilaterally. Which means you are suffering from nerve root compression at spine. So you may try physical therapy done by a physiotherapist. Decompression therapy by exercise if not improved then surgical decompression gives relief.

Medications may help to some extent but not fully. The steroid injection at nerve root may give relief but this also does not give long term results. So continue Pregabalin 75 twice a day. Please consult your neurosurgeon he will plan for decompression. Take care.

|