Q. Why do I have small cut like lines on the top of my tongue?

Dr. Sandeep Menon
This is a premium question & answer published on Jun 06, 2016 and last reviewed on: Apr 06, 2020

My tongue feels numb and dry every morning. When I eat some food recently my mouth started to burn. Then, I noticed some small cut like lines on the top of my tongue. Then do not hurt unless the food is hot. They sting if I eat certain foods. I am extremely concerned.

#

Thank you for sending across the photographs (attachment removed to protect patient identity).

• You are having a fissured tongue. It is quite harmless.
  • This is usually hereditary, but can occur in people as age progresses. This does not require any medication unless you have itching or burning sensations on the tongue.
  • Dry and numb tongue is definitely a cause of worry. This is strongly diet dependent.
  • You need to increase the intake of fruits and vegetables as they are the richest sources of vitamins like B complex and vitamin C.
  • For now, you can start off by having a course of multivitamin tablets, once daily for a month. But, medicines are never a substitute for a balanced diet.
  • Avoid hot spicy foods for a month. You will for sure start seeing the difference.

For further information consult a dentist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/dentist

| 

Can vitamin C induce periods?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 24 year old female. I am approximately 95 kg weight. I am in need of emergency contraception due to failed birth control. I will be ovulating tomorrow, so I am at a high risk of unwanted pregnancy. I obtained and took a 1.5 mg dose of Levonorgestrel (Plan B pill); however I have...  Read Full »

Can vitamin deficiency cause muscle twitching?

Query: Hi doctor, Before a week, I began having twitches and tingling in both legs from the knee down. For some time now, probably 6 months or more, I also began feeling that my legs were heavy and just general weakness all over, not really muscle weakness. I am also a gastric bypass patient and have a his...  Read Full »

Amla - a Treasure of Vitamin C

Article Overview: Amla is the one of the most important medicinal plants in the traditional system of medicine. It contains the highest amount of vitamin C and has other nutrients as well. I have discussed the health benefits of amla in this article. Read Article

Dr. Durga Kumari
Nutritionist

The wonder fruit amla (Indian gooseberry) is highly valued by nutritionists and practitioners of indigenous medicine. This is scientifically known as Emblica officinalis or Phyllanthus emblica.  Amla has been held in high esteem in indigenous medicine. It is acidic, diuretic and laxa...  Read Article