Q. I have red patches on head with hairfall. Please suggest solution.

Dr. Suvina Attavar

My head has red patches for the last six years. My hairs are falling (white hair only). I also suffer from low testosterone level for the last six months. Please help.

Dr. Suvina Attavar

Dermatology Venereology
#

You have a condition called as scalp psoriasis. This happens due to an increase in turnover of cells at the level of skin. Stress, infections, climatic change, and consumption of eggs or red meat can cause this to increase.

You can use a Clobetasol with 6% salicylic acid lotion on the patches everyday morning and night for two weeks. You can also use a coal tar based shampoo to wash your scalp on alternate days. Consuming fish is beneficial, you can also take fish oil capsules like Seven seas.

You can apply Cobiwell S (Salicylic acid and Clobetasol) lotion over the patches morning and night for two weeks.
Use Polytar shampoo thrice a week, leave on scalp for five minutess and wash.

| 

I did not get the medicine name. Also, what about white hair and hair loss too much. What is the reason?

Dr. Suvina Attavar

Dermatology Venereology
#

I do not know what brand name of medicine is available at your place. You can ask for a combination of Clobetasol with Salicylic acid lotion to apply twice daily over the patches for two weeks.

The hair loss can be due to multiple causes, if you are seeing more than 50 hairs falling per day one of the causes is psoriasis itself. Apart from this, nutritional deficiencies, stress, weight loss, fever, water change can also cause hair loss. If you are noticing thinning of hair it could be because of the low testosterone levels as well.

You can get a blood checkup done for vitamin D3, vitamin B12, serum ferritin, and TSH levels. This can help identify any other causes for hair loss or white hairs. You can start taking Biotin 10 mg tablets daily for three months.

|