Q. Why do I have red spots of dry and irritated skin?

Dr. Sampada Avinash Thakare

I have red spots of dry and irritated skin on the arms, shoulders, and leg, just below the waistline. Minor itchiness comes and goes. I am using Neosporin for about a week, but they are still there. I am attaching a picture of these red spots.

#

I need more information.

1. From when do you have this problem?
  2. How many lesions do you have in total?
  3. How many episodes per year?
  4. Do you have flaky scalp?
  5. Any history of fever?
  6. A month back, did you have similar lesions?
  • The images (attachment removed to protect patient identity) are not very clear. Please send good quality images. Differential diagnoses are:
  1. Nummular eczema.
  2. Pityriasis rosea (if similar lesions are present on trunk).
  • Both of them resolve with topical application of steroid-based creams. Neosporin will not help. If it is recurrent, then skin biopsy would help to confirm the diagnosis.

Revert with more information to a dermatologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/dermatologist

I have attached new pictures. You will see that it is affecting same areas on both arms. It is there for 1 to 2 weeks. It is hard to count, but I think there are around 15 to 20 lesions. The ankle rash was different and went away quickly with the use of Betamethasone. I do not have flaky scalp or a history of fever.

#

• The lesions in the picture (attachment removed to protect patient identity) looks like Pityriasis rosea.
  • The cause can be a viral infection or idiopathic. Basically, it is self-resolving. One or two lesions can appear over the period of next 2 to 3 weeks. There is no need to worry.
  • I suggest applying a steroid-based cream, like Flutivate cream (Fluticasone propionate) or Mometasone-based cream over the erythematous lesions, once daily for 7 to 10 days.

For further queries consult a dermatologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/dermatologist

|