Q. I have breathing problem and my head is unable to be lifted without opening the mouth. Please help.

Dr. S. Riaz Ahmed

I have some problems to breathe, and my head goes side to side. I was wondering if this is a normal head shape? And not be able to lift it without having the mouth completely open, so the jaw hurts. Please help.

#

I saw the pictures, and it seems you have action induced focal dystonia (attachment removed to protect patient identity). Please tell me how long you have these symptoms, and how does it come and get settled? Does it persist for some time? Again do you have any more stiffness elsewhere in the body? You can get an MR brain, as well as serum copper or ceruloplasmin levels, done. You try a course of L-Dopa 25 mg tid (thrice a day) in the meantime. If not alleviating, you can see a movement disorder specialist.

Idiopathic. But there are many more tests to rule out secondary causes. Genetic tests are available

MR brain, copper, and ceruloplasmin.

Secondary dystonia.

Focal action dystonia? DOPA responsive.

L-Dopa for a period of six months.

To see the progression of disability.

So you believe this is a normal head? Because I have never been able to keep my head still since I was a child. And it happens as soon as I open my mouth. My head falls back as soon as I open the mouth. I feel it in the neck. May you cannot see it. But I can feel when I open my mouth, and my head falls backward.

#

Jaw head dyskinesia and again a sort of dystonic trigger movement only. As long as it does not affect your day to day routine, it can be left alone as habitual. A trial L-Dopa (Sinemet) to see the response is worthwhile.

Idiopathic.

Already discussed regarding it and since it is from birth and non-progressive no need.

Habitual spasms.

Dystonia of focal.

Trial Sinemet 25 mg tid (thrice a day) for a month.

|