Q. I have breathing problem and my head is unable to be lifted without opening the mouth. Please help.

Dr. Riazahmed Syed
and medically reviewed by Dr. Nithila A

I have some problems to breathe, and my head goes side to side. I was wondering if this is a normal head shape? And not be able to lift it without having the mouth completely open, so the jaw hurts. Please help.

Dr. Riazahmed Syed

Child Health Neurology

I saw the pictures, and it seems you have action induced focal dystonia (attachment removed to protect patient identity). Please tell me how long you have these symptoms, and how does it come and get settled? Does it persist for some time? Again do you have any more stiffness elsewhere in the body? You can get an MR brain, as well as serum copper or ceruloplasmin levels, done. You try a course of L-Dopa 25 mg tid (thrice a day) in the meantime. If not alleviating, you can see a movement disorder specialist.

Idiopathic. But there are many more tests to rule out secondary causes. Genetic tests are available

MR brain, copper, and ceruloplasmin.

Secondary dystonia.

Focal action dystonia? DOPA responsive.

L-Dopa for a period of six months.

To see the progression of disability.

So you believe this is a normal head? Because I have never been able to keep my head still since I was a child. And it happens as soon as I open my mouth. My head falls back as soon as I open the mouth. I feel it in the neck. May you cannot see it. But I can feel when I open my mouth, and my head falls backward.

Dr. Riazahmed Syed

Child Health Neurology

Jaw head dyskinesia and again a sort of dystonic trigger movement only. As long as it does not affect your day to day routine, it can be left alone as habitual. A trial L-Dopa (Sinemet) to see the response is worthwhile.

Idiopathic.

Already discussed regarding it and since it is from birth and non-progressive no need.

Habitual spasms.

Dystonia of focal.

Trial Sinemet 25 mg tid (thrice a day) for a month.

is there any medicines for dysmenorrhea ?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 24 year old female, who was diagnosed with dysmenorrhea about two years ago. Last year I was given Mefenamic acid by my doctor to take for the pain and nausea. But, the medicine is not helping me, I still¬†have pain and vomiting. Is there anything else I can take for this?  Read Full >>

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Dysmenorrhea is not a diagnosis, it is only a symptom. Let me put few possible causes and their evaluation and treatment forward. At this young age, the most common cause is spasmodic dysmenorrhea. The cervix is tight and the blood when trying to make its way during perio...  Read Full

There is a white mass above my teeth in MRI. What is it?

Query: Hello doctor, I had a brain MRI nine months ago. The report came back completely normal. I decided to look at the images last night and I noticed this bright white mass above my teeth. Either the mass is near my teeth or in my sinuses. I am worried that I have a tumor growing and it was looked over...  Read Full >>

Dr. Chitrangada
Radiologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. The MRI brain looks normal (attachment removed to protect patient identity). The bright spot on the right side is a small right maxillary sinus polyp which is completely benign. Take care.  Read Full

Please suggest treatment for dysphonia.

Query: Hello doctor, I was diagnosed with dysphonia about a month ago. I have had a couple of speech therapy sessions but progress is glacial. I am still hoarse and in pain. I have been on 40 mg of Omeprazole for a month and Gaviscon Double Action for two weeks. I feel like the back of my throat is still ...  Read Full >>

Dr. Mehak Agarwal

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Muscle tension dysphonia takes time to get cured. A few sessions of speech therapy are not going to rid you of the problem. Muscle tension dysphonia occurs due to various reasons and can be present after laryngitis or pneumonia as in your case. As an ENT surgeon, I w...  Read Full

Ask a Doctor Now