Q. What is the white mass seen above my teeth in MRI?

Dr. Chitrangada

I had a brain MRI nine months ago. The report came back completely normal. I decided to look at the images last night and I noticed this bright white mass above my teeth. Either the mass is near my teeth or in my sinuses. I am worried that I have a tumor growing and it was looked over by the radiologist. The report does not mention this white mass and in the report my sinuses are normal. So I am wondering if this is a normal finding on an MRI and that is why it is not mentioned? I have no pain or symptoms. Also, if this was an abnormal mass, I should have symptoms nine months later, right? I also have a temporary acrylic crown on my bottom molar. I cannot tell if it is near the bottom or top of my teeth. If this is the bottom of my teeth then could this be my temporary crown?

#

The MRI brain looks normal (attachment removed to protect patient identity). The bright spot on the right side is a small right maxillary sinus polyp which is completely benign. Take care.

Were you able to view all of the images? Why would it say in the report that the sinuses are clear? Also, if I had a polyp, would not the report mention it? Do polyps go away on their own and is the polyp large? I am really worried? Are you a radiologist? What should I do for a polyp and could it turn in to cancer? Are you positive that this is not a bone tumor or sarcoma? Can you please give me some more detail? I am attaching the report.

#

Yes, that is a maxillary polyp but very uniform and definitely benign features on MRI. It is so small probably that is why the radiologist did not mention in it a brain study. I saw all the images attached here from your MRI. Polyps in sinuses at times change size depending on if they are inflamed or not. Polyps do not disappear on their own and are totally benign. Take care.

This big bright white circle mass is what I am talking about. It looks very large. I have also had a scope by an ENT last month. The tube went through my nose and to my throat. That was normal too. Is it possible that the ENT would have seen a polyp? I can see teeth in the image and that is why I thought it might be my tooth crown on my bottom right molar.

#

A crown would be made of a polymer which is hard substance and should appear dark on MRI similar to your bones and teeth. This polyp looks like arising from the floor of right maxillary sinus and that is why it is appearing like that. The maxillary sinus needs to be checked by ENT. And you can show him the images also for his reference and he can guide you further with it. Take care and do let me know if you have any doubts.

So, it definitely looks small an unconcerning? And does not look like a tumor or sarcoma? My temporary crown was made from acrylic. Why was it not mentioned in the report? If the radiologist saw this, why would the report not say that this was there? Does acrylic show bright white? If it were something serious, after nine months I would have some symptoms, right?

#

At any time, if the scan is requested for the brain, the radiologist tend to focus the report on that rather than a small maxillary polyp that is why it was not mentioned in your report probably. The lesion is well defined and small with no erosion or destructive changes around it. Therefore, the possibility of sarcoma or tumor is highly unlikely. Acrylic is a solid polymer and will not appear white on MRI instead it will appear dark. Anything with fluid like consistency will appear white. On MRI it looks big as it is a zoomed in image. The size is fairly small for a sinus polyp. It is nothing serious and should not cause you any symptoms apart from the mild stuffy nose when you get cold.

|