iCliniq logo

Ask a Doctor Online Now

HomeAnswersDermatologyfolliculitisI have an itchy pubic area. Is it herpes or folliculitis?

What does folliculitis look like in the genital region?

Share

The following is an actual conversation between an iCliniq user and a doctor that has been reviewed and published as a Premium Q&A.

Medically reviewed by

Dr. K. Shobana

Published At May 27, 2022
Reviewed AtOctober 10, 2023

Patient's Query

I want to ask about two lesions for which I will upload photos. In the first to the third photo, the pubic area was initially itchy, so I checked it after scratching, and there was blood. After wiping the blood, I took a picture. There are no other symptoms. The next photos are from the root of the genitals. Again, there was no pain. It only tickled when the wound was healed. I am so scared that this could be herpes. Is it just folliculitis? Please give me a detailed answer. Thank you.

I understand your concern. The lesions are bacterial folliculitis. These are not related to herpes in any way. Folliculitis is caused by bacterial infection in most of the cases and staphylococcus aureus is the common bacteria responsible for it. The lesions with pus are active while the scaling lesions are subsiding. Take following medications. Use Cream T-Bact (Mupirocin) apply twice a day over the lesions and surrounding area for one week. Take Tablet Cefadroxil (Cefradoxil monohydrate) 500 mg twice a day for 5 days. Follow up after one week. Take care.

Patient's Query

Is the first lesion the same? Does it show up for no reason? Kindly reply. Thank you

Yes, the first lesion is folliculitis only. Folliculitis is the infection of the hair follicle, and clinically it presents as erythema surrounding hair and gradually progresses to a pustule. Folliculitis happens due to bacterial reservoirs, like staphylococcus, which is usually present in skin folds like the groin, armpit, and also anterior part of the nose. From there, they can lead to folliculitis in a susceptible individual through minor abrasions, cuts caused by scratching or over some underlying skin condition, friction, or when immunity has decreased for some reason. Try to apply Mupirocin cream in these reservoir sites too, and herpes does not present like this. Herpes typically has grouped painful fluid-filled lesions at a single site, nothing to do with the hair follicle. Take care.

Same symptoms don't mean you have the same problem. Consult a doctor now!

Dr. Dilip Kumar Meena
Dr. Dilip Kumar Meena

Dermatology

Community Banner Mobile
By subscribing, I agree to iCliniq's Terms & Privacy Policy.

Read answers about:

herpesfolliculitis

Ask your health query to a doctor online

Dermatology

*guaranteed answer within 4 hours

This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. iCliniq privacy policy