Q. Having a wound on my scrotum. Is that herpes?

This is a premium question & answer published on Nov 09, 2016 and last reviewed on: Oct 09, 2018

I have an open wound or ulcer on my scrotum. I afraid that this might be herpes. However, the day before this wound I played football for 2 hours. I took a shower, but put on the same underwear and sprayed body spray on my boxers entirely before putting them on. I wore those boxers for the remaining of the day and did not take a shower until the following day. It was the following day where I noticed a red spot on my testicles as if dry skin and the skin cracked and the wound appeared.

#

• This is a little less likely to be herpes, since herpes classically form blisters. I can only tell for sure if you would be comfortable sharing a picture.
  • You can always try putting triple antibiotic cream for a week (Bacitracin, Neomycin and Polymyxin B) and see if it helps.

Revert back with the photo to an internal medicine physician online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/internal-medicine-physician

It looks like there is a lot of dry skin there too.

#

• This seems like mild cellulitis due to the open wound (attachment removed to protect patient identity). You would need oral antibiotics for seven days. Consult your specialist doctor, discuss with him or her and take the medicine with consent.
  • Please provide me your age and any medication allergies to suggest medicine of my choice.
  • Please keep an eye on penile discharge or discharge from the open wound.

For further doubts consult an internal medicine physician online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/internal-medicine-physician

Are you sure that this is not a STD? How can body spray do that much damage? Can I place Neosporin on it until it heals? I think it might be starting to scab over now.

#

• Regarding sexually transmitted disease, most of them would have a discharge from the penis. I understand that you do not have that. Please correct me if it is wrong.
  • Secondly, they may cause lumps in the groin due to enlarged lymph nodes, which I understand you do not have.
  • Some may cause huge ulcerative lesions called granuloma inguinale and as of now your lesion does not seem to be like that either.
  • This is not due to body spray and this is due to friction during the workout causing folliculitis and then open wound.
  • Yes, you may try topical Neosporin twice daily with doctor consent. If you do not see any improvement or if the size is enlarged, both wound and testes or you develop a fever, then please make sure that you are examined by a physician.
  • The complication may include abscess formation and signs of which would include fever, warmth and hardening of the scrotum and worsening pain.

|