Q. Kindly advise about the food that can be given to my 6 months old baby.

Dr. Payas Joshi
This is a premium question & answer published on Jan 26, 2017 and last reviewed on: Mar 31, 2021

Our baby is six months old. We have been only breastfeeding her and giving finger millet as a paste. What more should we give? We are confused and want to stay with natural food as much as possible. Kindly advise about the food that can be given. In the case of rice, should we boil and give as a paste or fry and powder it to make a paste?

#

I understand your concern.

• As your baby has completed six months, you should start complementary feeds. Complementary feeds should be a balanced diet means it should have all the essential nutrients that are, carbohydrates, proteins, fats, vitamins and minerals.
  • Feeds can be given for at least five to six times a day. Give her everything that is made at home.
  • You can give milk with boiled rice or biscuits or chapati. Cooked rice with any pulses and half spoon oil, either coconut oil or ghee.
  • Pulses are rich in protein like chickpea and pigeon pea, which are the essential part. If pulses are not a part of your diet, then you should always add a protein source like protein powder.
  • Also, add a fruit daily. It can be any fruit.

For further information consult a paediatrician online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/paediatrician

|