iCliniq logo

Ask a Doctor Online Now

HomeAnswersDentistryfood impactionHow can I address food getting stuck between the teeth?

How can I get the stuck food out of a pocket between molars?

The following is an actual conversation between an iCliniq user and a doctor that has been reviewed and published as a Premium Q&A.

Answered by

Dr. Divya Banu M

Medically reviewed by

iCliniq medical review team

Published At March 4, 2018
Reviewed AtFebruary 17, 2024

Patient's Query

Hi doctor,

I have a spot that I think may be considered a pocket or may just be a spot between my molars where I get food stuck. I have had problems with inflammation from food getting stuck in there. I got a Waterpik and the tool worked like a charm. So I am in a pinch now. I am traveling and I lost nearly all my belongings to theft. I am low on funds and my trouble spot is killing me. What can I do super cheap? Do you think an oral irrigating syringe will do the trick? Please suggest.

Answered by Dr. Divya Banu M


Welcome to icliniq.com.

Yes, such food lodgements are quite irritating. If the gap is narrow, you can use floss. But, I guess you have a wide gap. For that, you can use interdental brushes (available in different sizes in a single pack - looks like miniature bottle brushes). You just have to give a push motion in the gap from the facial to the tongue/palate side of the gap. Gargle after every meal (preferably with lukewarm and salt water) and regarding pocket, consult a periodontist when you reach back and they will guide you regarding the treatment. Kindly avoid toothpick usage as it can harm the gums. I hope this helps. Thank you.

Same symptoms don't mean you have the same problem. Consult a doctor now!

Dr. Divya Banu M
Dr. Divya Banu M


Community Banner Mobile
By subscribing, I agree to iCliniq's Terms & Privacy Policy.

Ask your health query to a doctor online


*guaranteed answer within 4 hours

Disclaimer: No content published on this website is intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek advice from your physician or other qualified healthcare providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website. Read our Editorial Process to know how we create content for health articles and queries.

This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. iCliniq privacy policy