Q. How can I get the stuck food out of a pocket between molars?

Dr. Divya Banu M

I have a spot that I think may be considered a pocket or may just be a spot between my molars where I get food stuck. I have had problems with inflammation from food getting stuck in there. I got a Waterpik and the tool worked like a charm. So I am in a pinch now. I am traveling and I lost nearly all my belongings to theft. I am low on funds and my trouble spot is killing me. What can I do super cheap? Do you think an oral irrigating syringe will do the trick?

#

Yes, such food lodgements are quite irritating. If the gap is narrow, you can use floss. But, I guess you have a wide gap. For that, you can use interdental brushes (available in different sizes in a single pack - looks like miniature bottle brushes).

You just have to give a push motion in the gap from the facial to the tongue/palate side of the gap.

Gargle after every meal (preferably with lukewarm and salt water) and regarding pocket, consult a periodontist when you reach back and they will guide you regarding the treatment.

Kindly avoid toothpick usage as it can harm the gums.

For more information consult a dentist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/dentist

|