Q. What are the reasons for bleeding gums?

Dr. Naveen Thomas
This is a premium question & answer published on Jun 08, 2016 and last reviewed on: Dec 29, 2018

I have bleeding gums over only one tooth. The gums are neither swollen nor painful. But, I have bright red lining just above that tooth when I finish brushing. I would like to stress that it is the only area that bleeds. Also, the next to that tooth I had a root canal treatment before two and a half years. It seems that I may need another one soon since they never put a cap over it. What could be wrong with the gum around that tooth? I really do not believe it as an abscess.

#

• It seems to be a gum injury, which you had while brushing or infection due to food impaction in that area.
  • It can be also due to the irregular biting relation of the upper and lower canine teeth.
  • It is definitely not related to the nearby root canal treatment.
  • You should ask your dentist to clean the teeth and then apply an oral gel in that area. Use warm saline gargle or a mouthwash to reduce the infection.
  • Send a picture of the whole mouth with the teeth visible, while biting if possible.
  • If it is more painful, then it would be better to ask your dentist for an x-ray to check whether there is an abscess.

Revert back with the photos to a dentist online -->https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/dentist

|