Q. Do the white patches in my mouth suggest some kind of cancer?

Dr. Purva Jingar

I have developed white patches in my mouth from a few days. The images are attached herewith. There is a pain some days and other days there is no pain at all. There is no bleeding either. Recently, I visited an ENT specialist. He referred me to a dentist. The dentist advised me to remove the upper third molar as there was no place for it to grow which impacted and had caused this. When I enquired about the healing time of these patches, the dentist told that they would not heal unless the wisdom teeth are removed. Is it some kind of oral cancer? I am a non-smoker and a non-drinker. I have never chewed tobacco. This lesion has been there for about 45 days. This lesion is on both the sides of my gums near the wisdom teeth. There is no history of a toothbrush trauma too. But, there might be a chance of cheek biting at the same position. Are there any medications available for this condition?

#

I have gone through the images (attachment removed to protect patient identity).

• Well, you need to get your wisdom teeth out. The patches are due to its eruption period. No need to worry as it is not cancerous. But, it may create problems like dryness, etc.
  • I suggest you take the following antibiotics. Take Amoxicillin 500 mg capsule for five days two times a day, Becosule, a multivitamin tablet, once a day, and a gum paint after brushing twice a day. Consult your specialist doctor, discuss with him or her and take the medicines with their consent.
  • Rinse your mouth with salt water and turmeric mixture twice a day. You can use a mouthwash. Brush your teeth and clean that side after every meal with an interdental toothbrush.

Wish you good health and happiness. Keep me updated with the improvements.

For more information consult a dentist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/dentist

My wisdom teeth have already erupted. Which of the wisdom teeth can be causing the problem? The lesion is there for almost 60 days. Is it serious? Currently, I am using Hexidine mouthwash two times after having a meal.

#

• There might be some lodging of food particles and lack of space near the wisdom tooth that can lead to white patches. I suggest Hexidine (Chlorhexidine Gluconate) mouthwash is a good choice. But follow what I have told you and use the interdental toothbrushes if the problem persists.
  • Due to lack of space near the wisdom tooth, as mentioned by your dentist, there is a chance of rubbing of gum surface and this may create patches and cheek bites too.
  • Drink lots of water and eat healthy foods. Get your erupted wisdom teeth removed to secure place for other healthy teeth.

Wish you good health and happiness. Keep me updated with the improvements. Regards.

|