Q. After recovery from food poisoning, I get frequent burps and excess hungry. Why?

Dr. Ajeet Kumar Lohana

I am a 34-year-old male. I was suffering from food poisoning and got recovered after a good four days. I have not stopped all medications except Nexpro RD, but after recovering I am getting a lot of burps after eating and also feeling too much hungry and if I do not eat I am feeling a little weak. Any medication or any suggestion to overcome this?

#

I can understand you must be very concerned about this. Well, it is not uncommon to have increased gas production after one develops acute gastroenteritis. The reason behind this is that following an episode of acute gastroenteritis, the person develops temporary lactose intolerance due to short of lactobacilli (normal bacteria digesting milk) within the small bowel. Once the amount of lactobacilli replenishes back to normal the burping goes away.

So you should do the following.

1. Increase the intake of curd which is rich in lactobacilla. Avoid taking milk for a few days.

2. Take a probiotic containing lactobacilli (Becelac) twice daily for two weeks or with any other brand containing lactobacillus.

3. Tablet Metoclopramide 10 mg thrice daily for two to three days only.

4. You can take whatever you want but do avoid milk, beans, peas, yellow lentils, and chickpeas. They all produce gases try to avoid them or reduce their intake.

5. You can continue taking Nexpro (Esomeprazole and Domperidone).

I hope you would be perfectly fine in a day or two.

|