iCliniq logo

Ask a Doctor Online Now

HomeAnswersMedical Gastroenterologyfood poisoningHow to overcome my excess hunger and frequent burps post food poisoning recovery?

After recovery from food poisoning, I get frequent burps and excess hungry. Why?

Share

The following is an actual conversation between an iCliniq user and a doctor that has been reviewed and published as a Premium Q&A.

Dr. Ajeet Kumar

Medically reviewed by

Dr. Vinodhini J.

Published At July 6, 2020
Reviewed AtJanuary 10, 2024

Patient's Query

I am a 34-year-old male. I was suffering from food poisoning and got recovered after a good four days. I have not stopped all medications except Nexpro RD, but after recovering I am getting a lot of burps after eating and also feeling too much hungry and if I do not eat I am feeling a little weak. Any medication or any suggestion to overcome this?

Answered by Dr. Ajeet Kumar

I can understand you must be very concerned about this. Well, it is not uncommon to have increased gas production after one develops acute gastroenteritis. The reason behind this is that following an episode of acute gastroenteritis, the person develops temporary lactose intolerance due to short of lactobacilli (normal bacteria digesting milk) within the small bowel. Once the amount of lactobacilli replenishes back to normal the burping goes away.

So you should do the following.

1. Increase the intake of curd which is rich in lactobacilla. Avoid taking milk for a few days.

2. Take a probiotic containing lactobacilli (Becelac) twice daily for two weeks or with any other brand containing lactobacillus.

3. Tablet Metoclopramide 10 mg thrice daily for two to three days only.

4. You can take whatever you want but do avoid milk, beans, peas, yellow lentils, and chickpeas. They all produce gases try to avoid them or reduce their intake.

5. You can continue taking Nexpro (Esomeprazole and Domperidone).

I hope you would be perfectly fine in a day or two.

Same symptoms don't mean you have the same problem. Consult a doctor now!

Dr. Ajeet Kumar
Dr. Ajeet Kumar

Medical Gastroenterology

Community Banner Mobile
By subscribing, I agree to iCliniq's Terms & Privacy Policy.

Ask your health query to a doctor online

Medical Gastroenterology

*guaranteed answer within 4 hours

This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. iCliniq privacy policy