Q. My baby is having diarrhea and bad burps. Do you have any idea of what could it be?

Dr. Faisal Abdul Karim Malim
This is a premium question & answer published on Jan 11, 2017 and last reviewed on: Mar 17, 2021

My 16 weeks old baby was sick around six days ago. Ever since he has had watery diarrhea after feeds around six times a day. Today on day 6, he is having awful rotten egg burps and still has the loose stools. Do you any idea of what it could be? He was also diagnosed with silent reflux at 2 weeks old and is on Gaviscon. Thank you.

#

• I believe this is your first child and that is why all the fuss. All the above complaints that you said are normal until the age of up to 6 months.
  • Till the age of 6 months, the child may pass stools 10 to 15 times a day or once in two to three days. Also, the child may pass gas like a big person. These are normal findings. No medicine can cure this as it is a normal phenomenon.
  • Regarding the rotten burps that you say, burping is a regular phenomenon. But, I cannot comment about the smell that you have mentioned. However, you need not worry if the child is active and is feeding well.
  • The only worrisome signs in children below six months are lethargy, refusal to feed, convulsion and icterus. If any of these signs are present, then it is important to evaluate the child completely.

For further information consult a paediatrician online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/paediatrician

|