Q. Can depression cause crying without reason, feeling useless and demotivated?

Dr. Aneel Kumar
Published on Jun 18, 2019

Do I have depression? I need to know because I think it will be a whole lot easier if I know and admit it myself. Last night I was crying without reason, it has been like this for five years now. I can go on not going out of my room for a week without eating and every time I worry too much, I cannot concentrate. I want to be good at studying but there are days when it is too much and I cannot seem to focus. One day I feel fine and positive and really motivated but then after a few hours I hit that feeling of uselessness again and I cannot do anything.

Dr. Aneel Kumar

Psychiatry
#

Depression can be normal and can be a disease. Depression is diagnosed when a person has low or depressed mood for most of the day every day at least two weeks, lack of interest and pleasure in daily activities, other symptoms are sleep disturbances, appetite changes, poor concentration, pessimistic thoughts, feeling guilty, hopelessness, thoughts of ending life. It is multifactorial. Your history is suggestive of depression as you have mentioned that these symptoms were in the past also, try to find out what is causing your depression. Any current issues or any past life event?

Tablet Escitalopram 10 mg at night, tablet Alprazolam 0.5 mg at night if sleep issues, lifestyle modification (go for walk daily, meet with your friends, share your problem with whom you trust), psychotherapy sessions.

Postpartum Depression

Article Overview: Postpartum depression (PPD) or postnatal depression is a kind of depression that affects a new mother. 80 % of all new moms experience baby blues, but if the symptoms are severe and it starts affecting your ability to care for your baby, then it is a sign of postpartum depression. Read Article

Dr. Sneha Kannan

Postpartum Depression Postpartum depression (PPD) or postnatal depression is a kind of depression that affects a new mother. 80 % of all new moms experience baby blues, but if the symptoms are severe and it starts affecting your ability to care for your baby, then it is a sign of postpartum depress...  Read Article

How to motivate myself?

Query: Hi doctor, I worry too much and lack motivation for doing anything.  Read Full »

Can depression be a cause for weight loss?

Query: Hi doctor, I am suffering from gastric problem for the last one and a half month. I lost 4 kg due to depression. I did my whole body checkup and all the reports are clear. But, I am having pain in my right hand muscle as well as have body pain. Is it due to depression? I studied about leukemia on i...  Read Full »