ADVERTISEMENT

Q. I have loose stool, nausea and lightheadedness after eating certain mushroom. Please help.

Answered by
Dr. Sugandh Garg
and medically reviewed by Dr. Vinodhini. J
This is a premium question & answer published on Sep 29, 2020

Hello doctor,

I have been eating a lot of portobello and crimini mushrooms for the last few meals. Some are not fully cooked. My last meal was roasted coriander, caraway, and cumin high speed blended with a bunch of parsley and a bunch of cilantro drizzled over slightly cooked portobello with a beer. I had criminis for breakfast and portobello for lunch yesterday. One hour after my meal tonight, I had numbness and tingling in my right leg that eventually started in left. Still, I have minor numbness almost five hours later. I have had little nausea and lightheadedness. It turns out mushrooms in this family contain agaritine and gyromitrin, which metabolizes into hydrazine. It looks cytochrome P450 is involved. The spices and greens plus beer may all have contributing factors related to overloading liver metabolism. I am drinking lots of water and just had a loose stool. I feel slightly better but I know that may not mean much when dealing with mycotoxins. Any suggestions? Should I be treated?

#

Hello,

Welcome to icliniq.com.

Have you ever had a similar symptom earlier? Any history of allergies that you suffer from or had in the past? Any family history of allergy to food or medications?

You have not mentioned your age, and I assume you to be an adult. It appears to me as a case of mushroom poisoning. Many people are allergic to certain foods, and mushroom allergy is not very rare to be found.

Firstly, whenever you take mushrooms, make sure they are edible mushrooms, boiled, and cleansed thoroughly in warm water, cooked properly before consumption. Otherwise, all foods and vegetables must be thoroughly cleaned and washed in warm water before consuming or cooking.

The two main varieties of mushrooms are found to be poisonous and these are amanita phalloides and amanita muscaria. I cannot say if you consumed the above or just the edible ones, which were partly cooked and probably not washed properly. Beer does not directly play any role.

Gastroenteritis that is loose motions which are rice watery are very common symptom of the same. If complicated, may cause damage to the liver and kidneys as well. These are the other two organs involved apart from GIT (gastrointestinal tract). Liver because the poison got metabolized there and may leave its damaging signs there and kidneys as it is excreted there and might have left its damage there also. Hepato renal changes are common with such poisoning. Hence, you must get properly investigated and then treated as per the reports and damage caused. Get your complete blood investigations done including complete hemogram, liver, kidney function test, etc.

Meanwhile, take plenty of water as you are already doing to combat the dehydration caused by loose motions and also to aid in any leftover of the poison.


Was this answer helpful?

 | 

Same symptoms doesn’t mean you have the same problem. Consult a doctor now!



Related Questions:
Suggest me homeopathy medicines for food poisoning and stomach pain.

Hello Doctor, I am 28 years old man. I have been suffering from random sharp pains in the left side of my chest over the past few months. It is happening when I am driving or walking. Could this be angina?   Read full

Watery Diarrhea - Not Always Due to Food Poisoning

.. watery diarrhea can be due to a severe condition called exocrine pancreatic insufficiency? Read the article to know more about this condition .. ...   Read full

I have nausea and vomiting every day because of acidity. Please help.

.. cause for your acidity is stress and please concentrate on the causative factor of stress. If you come to know what is the causative factor, then try to plan how to face or avoid in a non-stressful way. If you are facing problems please consult y...   Read full

ADVERTISEMENT

Also Read Answers From:

ideaComprehensive Medical Second Opinion.Submit your Case

Also Read


My triglycerides level was 207 mg/dL. Is it necessary to take medicine?
Hi doctor, Recently, I got a lipid profile done, and the triglycerides level was 207 mg/dL, apart from that everything ...  Read more»
My lipid test report shows quite high values. Kindly advice.
Hello doctor, I am 35-years-old. My cholesterol level is 222, triglycerides 87, HDL (cholesterol) 60, LDL (cholesterol)...  Read more»
Triglycerides - Causes, Medications, Symptoms, Risk Factors, and Treatment
Triglycerides are derivatives of glycerol and fatty acids. They might sound simple but the causes and symptoms contribut...  Read more»

Ask your health query to a doctor online?

Ask a Toxicologist Now

* guaranteed answer within 4 hours.

Disclaimer: No content published on this website is intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek advice from your physician or other qualified healthcare providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website.