Q. My feet are dry and toe nails are stuck to skin underneath. Why?

Dr. Sunil Kothiwala
Published on Jul 10, 2016 and last reviewed on: Oct 12, 2019

I am a 54 year old male. My height is 165 cm and weight is 62 kg. Currently, I take Stamlo 5 twice a day and Eltroxin 50 mcg once daily. I have dry feet. I keep using foot care cream to make my feet look normal. My toe nails seem to stick with the skin as they grow. I have attached the pictures for your reference. It occasionally pains while clipping the toe nails. Please help.

Dr. Sunil Kothiwala

Dermatology Venereology
#

• Hypothyroidism is a well known cause for dry skin.
  • Your nails in the photos (attachment removed to protect patient identity) look yellow, thickened, and detached from the nail bed. Are you itching over the feet?
  • I would like to see the images of both feet focusing on nails.

Xerosis.

Onychomycosis.

Revert back with the images to a dermatologist online.---> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/dermatologist

I am not itching over the feet. I am attaching the top view pictures of nails. There is no yellow color. It is partly pinkish white and partly dark.

Dr. Sunil Kothiwala

Dermatology Venereology
#

• You are having foot eczema. Old age and hypothyroidism are the precipitating factor for this xerosis.
  • Apply Xerina cream (Glycolic acid) locally twice a day. As you are not having itching, no other medicine required at present.

Apply Xerina cream locally twice a day.

Revert back after 10 days to a dermatologist online.---> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/dermatologist

Can hypothyroidism cause joint pain, shivering and fever?

Query: Hi doctor, I am 30 years old. My weight is 60 kg and height is 5'10". Three months before, I was diagnosed with hypothyroidism. Also, I am suffering from joint pain, shivering and fever. For this condition doctor advised me to take Thyrox 50 mcg, Thyrox 100 mcg for 10 days and Thyrox 125 mcg for ne...  Read Full »

What is the cause for seperation of nail from nail bed?

Query: Hi doctor, I am 50 years old female, went through menopause but otherwise I am healthy. There is a problem with my nails. Out of 10 nails, six nails have one-third of the nails separated from the nail beds, with a v shape, looking white underneath, rest of the nails are looking pinkish pale. The na...  Read Full »

I am having intermittent palpitations. Is it due to hypothyroidism?

Query: Hello doctor, I am 28 years old. Experiencing intermittent palpitations from last three months. ECG, echo, TMT is normal. The lipid profile shows increased triglycerides in serum 189 mg/dl. Recently, I was diagnosed with subclinical hypothyroidism for which I am taking Levothyroxine from last one m...  Read Full »