Q. My feet are dry and toe nails are stuck to skin underneath. Why?

Dr. Sunil Kothiwala
This is a premium question & answer published on Jul 10, 2016 and last reviewed on: Oct 12, 2019

I am a 54 year old male. My height is 165 cm and weight is 62 kg. Currently, I take Stamlo 5 twice a day and Eltroxin 50 mcg once daily. I have dry feet. I keep using foot care cream to make my feet look normal. My toe nails seem to stick with the skin as they grow. I have attached the pictures for your reference. It occasionally pains while clipping the toe nails. Please help.

#

• Hypothyroidism is a well known cause for dry skin.
  • Your nails in the photos (attachment removed to protect patient identity) look yellow, thickened, and detached from the nail bed. Are you itching over the feet?
  • I would like to see the images of both feet focusing on nails.

Xerosis.

Onychomycosis.

Revert back with the images to a dermatologist online.---> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/dermatologist

I am not itching over the feet. I am attaching the top view pictures of nails. There is no yellow color. It is partly pinkish white and partly dark.

#

• You are having foot eczema. Old age and hypothyroidism are the precipitating factor for this xerosis.
  • Apply Xerina cream (Glycolic acid) locally twice a day. As you are not having itching, no other medicine required at present.

Apply Xerina cream locally twice a day.

Revert back after 10 days to a dermatologist online.---> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/dermatologist

|