Q. Do I have intermittent feet and wrist pain due to nerve disorder or high uric acid?

Dr. Hafiz Muhammad Hassan Shoukat

I have pain in my feet and wrist sometimes, and I take painkillers. It goes and comes back again after a few months or weeks. It is not due to external injury. I got a blood test, and my uric acid was high at 10 mg/dL. Now, I take Feburic 40 mg for some time. Today again, I had a pain on my feet, and I am sending the location of pain present on my feet. Is it due to high uric acid?

I eat chicken more. Does eating chicken cause an increase in uric acid? I am overweight, and I am trying to reduce my weight. My weight is 99 kilograms, and my height is 177 cm. Do I have the pain due to a nerve disorder or fibromyalgia? My mother had fibromyalgia. What should I have to do? What diet should I need to take?

#

I have gone through the attachment (attachment removed to protect patient identity). As the uric acid is high at 10 mg/dL, it is likely a cause of arthritis. Febuxostat that you are using now should be used every day even when you are not having pain. This medication is used to treat acute gout, and it prevents recurrent attacks. Check your uric acid level if you are taking Feburic 40 mg. Increase the dose to 80 mg and recheck uric acid in four weeks. Uric acid should be less than 6 mg/dL.

Avoid drinking alcohol, and you can add proteins to the diet such as chicken, beef, mutton, or fish. But not in excess and it should not be taken every day. Do these blood tests such as CBC (complete blood count), ANA (antinuclear antibodies), rheumatoid factor, anti-CCP (anti-cyclic citrullinated peptide) antibodies, and ESR (erythrocyte sedimentation rate) to rule out other possible diseases.

| 

Now, I have a hope that I do not have fibromyalgia or nerve problem.

#

I do not think it as fibromyalgia. Fibromyalgia is a diagnosis of exclusion where someone will not have a reason. But you have a cause of having high uric acid. Also, fibromyalgia has some specific point tenderness like a neck, between shoulders, and back. Let me know the results, and we can decide about the management of pain.

| 

I have started taking Febuxostat today and taking Voveron 100 for pain. But it is not 100 % percent effective. Can I take Mobizox? Is it safe to have painkiller for a few days? Also, I have fatty liver, and I am scared of taking medicine. Please help.

#

Diclofenac sodium disturbs stomach more than other painkillers. Mobixoz (Paracetamol with Diclofenac) is the same medicine. I would advise taking tablet Naproxen 500 mg twice daily as per need and wear comfortable shoes. Painkillers are generally safe for the liver but when consumed for an extended period at high dose, can affect kidneys. Just take painkillers when you need it.

Another method of reducing pain is by using topical creams like Voltaren Gel (Diclofenac). Apply it on the affected area twice daily. Any over the counter topical analgesic will always be useful.

|