Q. I am worried about my blood report. Does that indicate anything?

Dr. J Mariano Anto Bruno Mascarenhas
This is a premium question & answer published on Nov 19, 2016 and last reviewed on: Nov 11, 2020

I have just got my basic blood check done. I am worried about the report, especially the following points. Cholesterol levels, vitamin D deficiency, excess uric acid, platelet, monocytes and basophils. I would like to know whether all these symptoms together are pointing to something else. Can I get healthy without taking medicines? What should I do? In the above, does anything pointing toward kidney or liver disease or cancer? I have been smoking for the past 10 years about 10 cigarettes a day. If I stop smoking, will it help improving the above?

#

• You have increased uric acid and increased cholesterol, which are just above borderline. You can reduce that by proper diet control.
  • I would suggest you to kindly avoid the following. Sugar, jaggery, all forms of sugar such as sweets, cakes, biscuits, wafers, chocolates, etc., alcohol and smoking.
  • You have reduced vitamin D. I suggest capsule vitamin D 60000 IU every Sunday for 12 weeks. Consult your specialist doctor, discuss with him or her and take the medicine with consent.
  • You need only vitamin D supplement and rest of the problems can be solved without medicines.
  • As of now, there is nothing big. But, please stop smoking. It is mandatory to maintain healthy living.
  • In addition, please do regular exercise. It can be totally 5 hours of walking per week (approximately 45 minutes per day) or 3 hours of swimming per week.

For further information consult a general practitioner online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/general-practitioner

How about the platelet, monocytes and basophil count? They are high. Does that indicate anything?

#

• The platelet count is normal. There is no need to worry.
  • The other parameters will settle in three to four months after you have stopped smoking.

For further doubts consult a general practitioner online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/general-practitioner

|