Q. Should I pull back my penis foreskin and dry everytime after urinating to prevent infection?

Dr. Gajanan Bhat
and medically reviewed by Dr. Nithila A
Published on Jul 09, 2019

I am an adult male and not circumcised, do I have to pull back my penis foreskin and wipe or dry (toilet paper) every time I urinate to prevent foreskin problems infections or balanitis? Or just shaking it after urination is good enough? I honestly do not wipe, and I never had a problem.

Dr. Gajanan Bhat

General Surgery Urology
#

There will be secretions under the foreskin, which is called smegma. These get infected in men with an immune-compromised condition such as diabetes. In others, keeping the undersurface of foreskin clean once a day while having a bath is enough. It is not necessary to pull back foreskin every time you urinate. Even shaking the penis after urination does not affect smegma. In normal persons, cleaning the undersurface of foreskin once a day suffices.

But then the moisture that remains after urination inside the foreskin will not be a problem. I do not have diabetes. Also, the glands sometimes get a little red, but then it arrives back to normal is that normal? So wiping after urination is not necessary.

Dr. Gajanan Bhat

General Surgery Urology
#

Let me assure you that the moisture post urination does not have any effect as there is hardly any. Cleaning undersurface of foreskin once a day is more than sufficient. As long as the redness of glans is concerned, there is no need to worry as long is temporary.

I saw a dermatologist and told the same. He also said urine is sterile and I did not need to worry about the moisture after urination, and my confusion started when I saw my primary doctor and told me since I was not circumcised I need to wipe after urination to prevent infections and fungus. I have never done that before, and since I started wiping, I think the glands sometimes gets irritated. I do clean properly my foreskin every day when I take a shower. I have even been thinking about getting circumcised. Kindly advice.

Dr. Gajanan Bhat

General Surgery Urology
#

I reiterate the once a day cleaning of the undersurface of foreskin suffices. Circumcision in an adult procedure which does not provide any benefit clinically or pathologically. However, the circumcised penis appears and remains hygienic always as you do not have smegma, which collects under the uncircumcised foreskin. I would not advise you circumcision as it does not provide you any clinical benefit.

Can I go back to my routine and stop wiping? So will that help in preventing the random irritation? I will follow your advice about circumcision.

Dr. Gajanan Bhat

General Surgery Urology
#

You can go back to your routine. Do not forget to clean undersurface of foreskin once a day. I forgot to mention that you need to clean following the sexual act if you are sexually active. Please get back to me if you have any more queries.

What is the solution for skin being tight over the penis?

Query: Hello doctor, My husband and I have been having sex using a condom and it has been fine. Now we want to conceive and we are having sex without a condom and he experiences pain in his penis which causes him to lose his erection. He also experienced a cut in his penis area which caused bleeding that ...  Read Full »

Does circumcision reduce sensitivity of tip of the penis?

Query: Hi doctor, I am a 30 year old guy, and I have phimosis. Many times, I have tried to retract my foreskin, but always in vain. I would like to know if circumcision is mandatory to rectify the problem. Is there any other method which I could opt for? I am going to get married soon, and so I would like...  Read Full »

Why is my foreskin so tight?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 25 year old male. My foreskin is tight and it is difficult and hurts to pull back my skin off the head when erect but goes back with less effort when not erect. How can I loosen my foreskin at home?  Read Full »