Q. My foreskin is tight. How can I loosen my foreskin?

Dr. Nidhin Mohan
This is a premium question & answer published on Jul 03, 2018 and last reviewed on: Oct 03, 2019

I am a 25 year old male. My foreskin is tight and it is difficult and hurts to pull back my skin off the head when erect but goes back with less effort when not erect. How can I loosen my foreskin at home?

Dr. Nidhin Mohan

Internal Medicine
#

Home-based treatment methods for tight foreskin (phimosis) are not recommended.

Easy treatment is circumcision meaning foreskin is removed. It is a simple and safe procedure done as a day care procedure. It does not require admission also.

For more information consult an internal medicine physician online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/internal-medicine-physician

| 

Is there any other option other than circumcision?

Dr. Nidhin Mohan

Internal Medicine
#

A lot of home remedies like gentle pulling of the foreskin, etc., are mentioned. All these methods are harmful. Do not attempt them.

Circumcision is a simple and safe procedure. Speak to a urologist or a general surgeon close to you and get it done. It does not even require admission.

| 

I am not asking about home remedies. What I want to know is if there is any other clinical option other than circumcision?

Dr. Nidhin Mohan

Internal Medicine
#

Frenuloplasty is another procedure which is rarely done in minor cases of tight foreskin.

There is no medical management like corticosteroid creams which have any proven benefit. In fact, corticosteroid creams can increase the risk of infection in prepuce. So, it is not recommended and it also does not reverse the phimosis.

| 

Is there going to be any problem if it is not cured?

Dr. Nidhin Mohan

Internal Medicine
#

During sex, when the skin is not able to fully pull back, it causes problems in intercourse. If it is accidentally pulled back fully, it causes paraphimosis which is painful and needs to be treated immediately.

To avoid these problems, it is better to get a circumcision done.

| 

Can I have sex with phimosis?

Query: Hi doctor,I have phimosis. I am ashamed to have sex with my fiance. Will sex be a problem or uncomfortable in future? Is there any solution other than surgery?  Read Full »

How to stretch tight penis foreskin?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 22 year old male. I have problem of tight penis skin. Whenever I pull my penis skin back during erection it will be very hard to do. Then, my penis skin gets stuck behind the penis forehead and it is very painful to retract back. I generally use oil for this problem. Please ...  Read Full »

What are the home remedies for tight foreskin?

Query: Hello doctor, I am 19 years old. I have a tight foreskin. Please suggest me the remedies and the types of oil used to roll back the skin.  Read Full »