Q. How to minimize forgetfulness and disturbed sleep?

Dr. Nidhi Jain Bukharia
This is a premium question & answer published on Jun 03, 2016 and last reviewed on: Apr 06, 2020

For a while, my memory has been really bad. A recent event with my memory is as follows. My alarm goes off at 7:04 AM and I looked at my clock at 7:05 AM and I could not remember how my alarm had gone off, which was only a minute later. But, things I memorized before some years are still remain in my head. For example, as a hobby, I learnt mathematical pi, I can still recite it. But, I have forgotten some numbers and I am frequently mixing things up. Another thing that has happened is that I cannot sleep at nights. I have to leave the window open and wrapped in several blankets to sleep, because either I feel too hot or too cold where in a split second I am either sweating or shivering. I also get massive waves of heat or cold. My hands and feet normally go cold and numb during my cold episodes and when I get hot, I feel dizzy and nauseous. I feel distressed. I generally see myself as a person who barely eats or drinks, but for the past month I have been drinking three times more than usual and eating full, but healthy meals. I would just like to know if there is a diagnosis or at least some steps that I can take to minimize this. Thank you.

Dr. Nidhi Jain Bukharia

Psychiatry Psychologist/ Counsellor Sexology
#

• By your two symptoms, it is not possible for me now, to provide you the exact diagnosis.
  • Forgetfulness, sometimes a symptom of depression. It is called pseudodementia. Disturbed sleep and restlessness can also be associated with it.
  • Do you have persistent low mood, changed appetite, weakness, ideas of hopelessness and suicide?
  • Temperature dysregulation may be due to hormonal changes (thyroid dysfunction) or due to excessive anxiety.
  • Do you have other symptoms of anxiety? Also, get a thyroid test done and revert back to me.

Revert back with the report to a psychiatrist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/psychiatrist

| 

Postpartum Depression

Article Overview: Postpartum depression (PPD) or postnatal depression is a kind of depression that affects a new mother. 80 % of all new moms experience baby blues, but if the symptoms are severe and it starts affecting your ability to care for your baby, then it is a sign of postpartum depression. Read Article

Dr. Sneha Kannan

Postpartum Depression Postpartum depression (PPD) or postnatal depression is a kind of depression that affects a new mother. 80 % of all new moms experience baby blues, but if the symptoms are severe and it starts affecting your ability to care for your baby, then it is a sign of postpartum depress...  Read Article

Kindly prescribe Sildenafil dose for erectile dysfunction in a diabetic patient?

Query: Hello doctor, I am 54 years male, having erectile dysfunction and diabetic for the last three years with HbA1c value 8. Can you please prescribe the dose of Sildenafil?  Read Full »

Depression - Awareness, Self-Diagnosis, and Treatment Modalities

Article Overview: Depression is among the top five causes of morbidity in today’s world. It remains largely undiagnosed and underreported because of a lack of adequate knowledge, both among the patients as well as the physicians. It is majorly characterized by the presence of a continuous sad mood, anhedonia, and easy fatiguability along with a host of secondary symptoms, which aid in quantifying the severity of the depressive disorder. So, it is the need of the hour that awareness is raised among the masses regarding this illness that is soon poised to be the number one cause of morbidity. Read Article

Dr. Ajay Singh

Depression has been recorded in the annals of history since time immemorial, but never has it assumed so much significance as it has in today’s world. With the advent of technology today, the human society is evolving by leaps and bounds with every passing day. As the saying goes that every co...  Read Article