Q. My 1-month-old baby screams throughout the night as if her belly hurts. Could it be the formula?

Dr. Manu Bharadwaj
This is a premium question & answer published on Jul 02, 2020 and last reviewed on: Apr 26, 2021

My one-month-old daughter usually eats around the clock but still has a lot of gas. The past several days, she eats only 0.5 to 1 or 2 ounces at a time while she was typically eating 3 to 3.5 ounces of formula. She rarely poops, and if she usually has diarrhea around 1 to 2 am. She also started screaming throughout the night as if her belly hurts. What should I do, and could it be the formula? She is now on the Similac sensitive.

#

I will presume you had absolutely no other alternative than to start formula feeds for your baby.

Babies having reduced stool frequency, passing loose watery stools, excessive crying at night can all be because of the formula feed. Generally, babies tolerate Similac well. Please know that once you start formula feeds, you will invariably have to start giving them water to drink as well. How is the mixing of the formula going on? Are you following whatever’s on the carton? Giving water also makes the baby ‘gassy,’ but it cannot be reduced. If you can just take a photo of the poop in the diaper and send it to me, I would be able to say if it is acceptable to continue with the formula you are giving now. In spite of all the research that has gone into the nutrition for newborns, it is proven beyond doubt, and nothing comes even close to breast milk. I am sorry if you are unsettled with this statement. You might be forced to stop feeding for many genuine reasons. But it is the truth - nothing is better than mother’s milk.

So, if you can go back to breastfeeding - nothing better. If you cannot, please let me know what the issue is. Maybe I can be of some help.

|