Q. My 1-month-old baby screams throughout the night as if her belly hurts. Could it be the formula?

Dr. Manu Bharadwaj

My one month old usually eats around the clock and always had a lot of gas. The past several days, she will only eat 0.5-1 or 2 ounces at a time when she typically eats 3-3.5 ounces of formula. She rarely poops and if she does it's usually around 1-2am and has diarrhea. She also started screaming throughout the night as if her belly hurts. What should I do and could it be the formula? She is now on the Similac sensitive

#

I will presume you had absolutely no other alternative than to start formula feeds for your baby.

Babies having reduced stool frequency, passing loose water stools, excessive crying at night can al be because of the formula feed. Generally, babies tolerate Similac well. Please know that once you start formula feeds, you will invariably have to start giving them water to drink as well.

How is the mixing of the formula going on? Are you following whatever’s on the carton? Giving water also makes the baby ‘gassy’ , but it can’t be reduced.

If you can just take a photo of the poop in diaper and send it to me, I would be able to say if it’s acceptable to continue with the formula you are giving now.

In spite of all the research that has gone into the nutrition for newborns, it is proven beyond doubt, nothing comes even close to breast milk. Am sorry if you are unsettled with this statement. You might be forced to stop feeding for many genuine reasons. But it’s the truth - nothing is better than mother’s milk.

So, if you can go back to breastfeeding - nothing better. If you can’t, please let me know what the issue is. May be I can be of some help.

|