Q. My 3-month-old baby is on formula feed and not gaining weight. Why?

Dr. Prashant Kumar Singh

My baby girl is 3 months old and her weight is 4.5 kg. The cesarean was done at 37 weeks. She was 2.5 kg at the time of birth. I am using Lactogen 1, as the breast milk of my wife is very very low. I informed the pediatrician who takes care of my baby that we are giving 3oz but my baby after taking 1.5-2.5oz is refusing to accept as she is sleepy and we are unable to intake her anymore. Sometimes the baby is sleeping for four to five hours without consuming and sometimes she is sucking her fingers after two to three hours and when we are giving the feeding bottle she is taking 1.5-2 oz.

The main problem is that we failed to understand whether my baby is hungry or she is sleepy as in both the cases baby sucks her finger. After explaining the same, the pediatrician said that she has not gained much weight and advised to have urine and blood test for CBC and TSH. When I asked him that whether can I change the formula milk he said that all are same and if we wish, we can change but has not given any suggestion.

Please help me whether I need to change the formula milk and can use Dexolac 1 by replacing Lactogen 1? I cannot afford costly formula milk. Also, please guide me that how much oz I have to give and how much gaping is needed? Also when the baby is sleeping, shall I awake her and give the feeding? Please suggest.

Dr. Prashant Kumar Singh

Child Health Paediatrics Pediatric Allergy/Asthma Specialist
#

No need to change the formula milk, continue the same formula milk, as the baby grows there is no hard and fast rule that the baby takes milk every two hours. The feeding should be on demand, whenever the baby wants milk she will cry. The best method to see whether milk is enough or not is to see the number of times the baby is passing urine. If it is six times a day that means the milk is enough. Since your baby was preterm the growth might be a little slow, you should be worried only if the baby is not tolerating feeds like if she is vomiting too much or having too much of loose stools.

|