Bottle Feeding

Is it advisable to add sugar to baby formula?

Query: Hi doctor, My baby is 6 weeks old. I am not able to breastfeed her properly due to pain in the breasts. I have expressed milk, but she is not taking that milk and even the formula milk. She wants direct breastfeed milk, and I tried adding some sugar in the formula milk, and she drank the milk. I als...  Read Full »

Dr. Faisal Abdul Karim Malim

Child Health Specialist, Paediatrician

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. It is advisable to use a bottle with a nipple for feeding. Also, you can add honey instead of sugar to milk. It will make it sweet. All formula feeds have more or less the same taste, so there is no use changing formulas. Please give your expressed milk with bottle feed...  Read Full »

Please suggest ways to control loose motions in a baby.

Query: Hello doctor, I have a 1 month old boy baby, his mother died during the delivery. We feed him cow's milk, but he is having loose motions. How to control the loose motions?  Read Full »

Dr. Babu Lal Meena

Child Health Specialist, Family Physician, General Practitioner, Medical Gastroenterologist, Paediatrician

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. It is so sad to hear about his mom. First, we need to clarify whether he has diarrhea, because sometimes, increased frequency of stools due to gastrocolic reflex may be considered as diarrhea. If he has diarrhea, then we need to look at the causes, for example, infecti...  Read Full »

Is it fine to spoon feed formula milk for a three weeks old?

Query: Hello doctor,I have a newborn of three weeks old. She is not able to get breastfeed because my nipple size is smaller and thus less milk supply. And also because she is not ready to suck correctly. She was born at 37 weeks of gestation. I am feeding her formula milk through the spoon. I want to know...  Read Full »

Dr. Vijaykumar Mundeshi

General Practitioner, Child Health Specialist, Paediatrician

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Breastfeeding is the best for your baby until six months completion. Since you are facing problems with it, you can give expressed breast milk with a spoon. Never use a bottle. You need to take extra calories while lactating drink enough fluids so that you secrete mo...  Read Full »

What are the signs and symptoms of colic?

Query: Hello doctor, Kindly tell me the following: 1. What is colic? 2. What are the signs and symptoms? 3. What are the causes? 4. What are the remedies? With experience, kindly tell how parents can deal with colicky babies.   Read Full »

Dr. Veerabhadrudu Kuncham

Child Health Specialist, Paediatrician

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Colic is abdominal discomfort or pain mostly seen in the evening in bottle-fed babies. A consolable cry which improves with particular positioning of the infant. Most of the time, the cause is not known. Mostly associated with formula feed, improper burping practices. No ...  Read Full »

Is it necessary to use G-tube for oral aversion in a baby?

Query: Hello doctor, My 7 months old daughter was on NJ tube for four months and now asked to change to G-tube. All her tests came normal including swallow study, abdomen ultrasound, etc., came normal. She developed oral aversion about one month back. When she was having bottles, she used to vomit all the...  Read Full »

Dr. Faisal Abdul Karim Malim

Child Health Specialist, Paediatrician

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. You can use NJ tube in the meanwhile till the problem persists. With the growing age, eventually, things should be fine. The other options that you can discuss with your treating physician are: 1. Thickening of feeds. 2. Using Gaviscon (an antacid medication that crea...  Read Full »

How can I make the child wean from breastfeeding to bottle feeding?

Query: Hello doctor, My 7-month-old baby does not want to feed on the bottle. I am currently breastfeeding and I want to feed her Enfamil. What can I do about it? She is not gaining weight. Her weight is consistent at 7.5 kg since she was 4 months old. But she is good. No illness. But my main complaint is...  Read Full »

Dr. Baratu Bhaisara

Paediatrician

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I understand your concern. Bottle feeding is not recommended to any child for long term. You can try spoon feeding. Yes, it will not be easy to shift from breastfeeding to top feed. Should try gradually. As per WHO, the baby should be continued on breastfeeding for a mi...  Read Full »

My 7 year old has fever, loose motion and vomiting. Please advise medicines.

Query: Hello doctor, My 7 and a half year old son is suffering from fever (100+), loose motions and vomiting, headache, backache. He still uses a bottle for milk and once in six months we have to face this situation. Now, we firmly decided to discontinue feeding him by a bottle. Please advise medicines. H...  Read Full »

Dr. Amit Modi

Child Health Specialist, Paediatrician

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. As your child is suffering from acute gastroenteritis, it is a good decision that you have decided to stop bottle feeding. I suggest: Syrup Zinconia (Zinc acetate) 5 ml once daily for 14 days. Enterogermina (probiotic) suspension twice daily for three days. ORS...  Read Full »

My 14 months old son's top four teeth look rough and are crumbling. Why?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a very concerned father of a 14 months old boy. His first six teeth came in, but the top four teeth look quite rough and are crumbling. His bottom two teeth seem fine. He is still almost exclusively breastfed, as he does not like to eat food, and seldom opens his mouth. I believe...  Read Full »

Dr. Naveen Thomas

Dentist, Endodontist, Pedodontist, Periodontist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have seen the attached photos (attachment removed to protect patient identity). The upper front teeth show early childhood caries lesion resulting in decay. You need start giving him other semi-solid food and reduce exclusive breastfeeding. After every breastfeeding,...  Read Full »

Which formula milk shall I opt for my baby?

Query: Hi doctor, My daughter is 5 months old. Since I had less milk, she was formula fed. But, she developed a gas problem. We keep on switching the brand of formula milk, but it did not suit her. Her doctor advised Colicaid, but she still has issues. Can you please advise which formula milk is good for ...  Read Full »

Dr. Prashant Kumar Singh

Child Health Specialist, Family Physician, Paediatrician, Pediatric Allergy Asthma Specialist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. The problem is not with the formula milk and it is with the way you feed the formula. Generally, gas formation is more if the baby is on bottle feed and somewhat little when baby is breastfed. The problem of gas formation is a common thing as babies tend to take in air...  Read Full »